H4 to H1 visa stamping

sp23

I came to US on a H4 visa and my I-94 expired in May 2002. I got my H1 aaproved recently with a new I-94. Where can I get my H1 stamping in my passport? Can I just send documents to st.louis, just like people do for H1 renewal or do i need to go out of country like canada /mexico or is it mandatory to go to India to get stamping. If i have to go to India will there be any problem as i stayed here for few months with expired I-94. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by sp23
I came to US on a H4 visa and my I-94 expired in May 2002. I got my H1 aaproved recently with a new I-94. Where can I get my H1 stamping in my passport? Can I just send documents to st.louis, just like people do for H1 renewal or do i need to go out of country like canada /mexico or is it mandatory to go to India to get stamping. If i have to go to India will there be any problem as i stayed here for few months with expired I-94. Thanks in advance.

If your I-94 expired in May 2002, you may be out of status. Please check!

You cannot get h1 stamping from USA. Only H1-H1 or H4-H4 is allowed inside USA. YOu will have to get it the next time you travel to India or in Canada/Mexico.

If you stayed for more than 6 months after I-94 expiration, you could be subject to 3 year bar. Consult a good attorney ASAP!