H4 to H1 stamping at Toronto

shailaja

Hi Guys,

I came to US on H4 & just got my H1 approved.I was working on EAD till now.It\'s just been 1 year of working though.My GC is in process and I\'ve already done finger printing but I probably won\'t get it because I\'m getting divorced.I have to go to Toronto next month to get my Visa stamped & change my status from Adjustment of status to H1B.Did anybody ever have the same kind of situation?Can anybody share their experience in Toronto consulate?Is it difficult there as compared to Mexico consulates?What kind of questions do they usually ask?

Thanks,

Shailaja

can this be done?

can h-4 to (first time) h-1 stamping be done in Mexico/Canada? i talked to 2 lawyers. One said it can be done the other said since this is a first H-1 I would have to go back to my home country.
Please respond.

Doable with reservations, Iam in the same boat

It is doable.

But uncertainity exists. I am in the process of quantifying that uncertainity.Have our appointment in Toronto early November.

My wife is in the same situation. H4 to H1. Her education is from India. I 797 was approved on the basis of Education evaluation service certifying the equivalence to US Bachelor\'s.

I\'ve heard that absence of U.S education is not favorably looked upon. Also with the current situation it could be so much more difficult. Iam trying to quantify the risk of us going to Canada for the stamping Vs going to India or delay the trip altogether.

If we are refused the visa in Canada there\'s the question of crossing back to U.S. Used to be straight forward before.
I have done it myself. Now with everything that\'s going on.I am not sure.

Hope this helps.

If you have any info.
Would apppreciate if U share it with me.

We haven\'t made the fianl decision yet.

Good luck