H4 to H1 (SSN issue)

ninjin274

Registered Users (C)
My wife got her H-1 approved in MS quota (Starting Date - 10/01/07)

SSN office denied her request for issuing SSN, as they say in their system she is still on H-4

Anyone aware of something like this ? Please help

Did she get her status change from within the US? Sometimes USCIS SAVE database gets updated very late.

Normally SSN office should not deny the request outright unless you did not go with the right set of documentary proof (offer letter, H1 approval notice, I94 etc). Did they give you a denial letter? If they refuse to take her application, ask for a denial letter.

Make sure you go with all documentary proof. Most likely they will take the application and give you a letter saying that you have applied and its pending verification. They would then follow up with USCIS for the status verification. Can take 8 weeks and beyond. But in the meantime, on the basis of the SSA letter, she should be able to work

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We went with all the paperwork. H-1 Approval, Offer Letter, Passport etc..

As per them, their system still shows her on H-4 and hence she is not eligible for SSN.

They still took her application, but as you said, it is subject to verification.

Her employer has refused to process Payroll and are asking her to wait for the SSN.

Can they still process her salary ?

My wife got her H-1 approved in MS quota (Starting Date - 10/01/07)

SSN office denied her request for issuing SSN, as they say in their system she is still on H-4
--------------------------did she get new I-94 attached with H1 approval notice????? did you show SSN office the H1 status based I-94??

Anyone aware of something like this ? Please help

----------------

I had the same issue when I got my H1b back in 2005.

But the SSN office didnt reject the application. They said that the status was still showing as H4 in their system.

So dont worry. She will get the SSN in a week or two.

You can also do one thing..
If your employer is from the same state that you are currently living in, please visit the local USCIS office. Go to this website, http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and take an appointment. And go with all the documents...explain your situation.They will be able to help you in most of teh cases. I know this worked for some folks.
Unfortunately it didnt work for me since my company was based in another state.