H4 TO H1 -- SSN and Stamping

bosheng

Registered Users (C)
Hi my wife entered USA on H4 visa in June this year and subsequently she got an H1 later on. She has already applied for the SSN almost 2 weeks back and we have not got her SSN yet. How much time does it take to get the SSN. Does it take longer if it is H4->H1. Also Do we have to specfically apply for a visa status change? Can we go to Mexico/Canada for stamping once she gets her SSN. Pls. share any suggestions/comments/views that you might have.
Thanks
Bosheng

Can you start working in that case before u get ur SSN?? Is it legal to do if the company accepts saying they will pay as soon as we get SSN?
Can we be legally in this country on H1 without pay stubs just because without SSN we cannot get paid?

I remember I had got my SSN over the phone and subsequently I got the card. Can you still get it over the phone. Or can you walk into a local SSN office just to know the number??????//

No now a days they are not giving SSN number over the phone you need to wait 6 to 8 weeks but u can give trial . for me it took 7 weeks .

she can start working but to run payroll she needs SSN So its good to talk with the company what they can do for you(like some desi companys give personal checks or stop their payroll untill she get the ssn and then they run it ). if this not feasible you can give tax payer id number (iam not sure ).
its good if u start working immediately and get ur paystubs later on for these working days and it all depends on you and your company understandings .

Thanks
Likhitha