H4 to F1

One can go to school on H4, and, if one has been a resident of the state where the school is, for a year or more, pay in-state tution fees.

I am somewhat at a loss to figure why one needs an F1, which would likely automatically mean much higher non-resident tution fees.

h4 to f1 doubts

Hi,

I missed the boat for 485 stage that was opened recently..my PERM is pending at Atlanta for 3 months ..so i am not sure when will it open up next in the near future.. Also H1-B gets finished on 2 days.. so thats risky too..

So thats why I plan to convert my wife to F1 -> OPT -> H1-B.... If you have any better solution or workaround please let me know..

Any advice is greatly appreciated... Thanks once again..

- Sunil

One can go to school on H4, and, if one has been a resident of the state where the school is, for a year or more, pay in-state tution fees.

I am somewhat at a loss to figure why one needs an F1, which would likely automatically mean much higher non-resident tution fees.

I went for a COS from h4 to f1 in may 2007. I can see on the website that there is a notice of approval dated aug 9 which i am yet to receive.

I got an assistantship from the college which gave me an i-20 that said it would sponsor me and give me a stipend. Just to be on the safe side, i also provided bank statements to show approximately enough funds to cover expenses for 1 year for an international student.

My cover letter just listed the documents attached and i requested for visa before fall sem begins. In the I-539, one part of the form asks abt the reason for change of status and i said change was bcoz i was offered an assistantship.

I kept it plain and simple.here it is
Dear Immigration Officer,

I am currently on H4 and would like to change my visa status to F1 starting Fall’ 07 to pursue further studies in Master’s in Business Administration (M.B.A). The reason for requesting a change of status is that I have been offered a full assistantship. This is a wonderful opportunity for me which I would not like to miss.
My husband who is on H1 will be sponsoring me to cover room and board and other incidentals.

Attached with the I-539 are following documents.
1. Applicant’s original I-94
2. Check for $200 in favor of ‘Dept of Homeland Security’
3. I-20
4. SEVIS fee receipt
5. Proof of assistantship offer from college
6. Affidavit of support from my husband/sponsor
7. Original banks statement of sponsor
8. Proof of sponsor’s employment and pay stub
9. Copy of I-797 of sponsor and applicant
10. Copy of I-94 of sponsor
11. Copy of applicant’s and sponsor’s passport pages
12. Copy of visas of applicant and sponsor
13. Copy of marriage certificate
14. Proof of applicant’s health insurance

I hope you will consider my case favorably.

Sunil: wont it be risky for your wife to apply for F1 as you have already applied for PERM which shows that you are planning for immigration? have you already applied? how did you do that?
Thanks,
R

Hi,

I missed the boat for 485 stage that was opened recently..my PERM is pending at Atlanta for 3 months ..so i am not sure when will it open up next in the near future.. Also H1-B gets finished on 2 days.. so thats risky too..

So thats why I plan to convert my wife to F1 -> OPT -> H1-B.... If you have any better solution or workaround please let me know..

Any advice is greatly appreciated... Thanks once again..

- Sunil