H4 to F1: status change approved, need stamping in India

coolkarnius

Hello,

My wife came to US in 2006 on H4 and later got admitted into a master's program here. We applied for change of status to F1 and got it approved. She also has a job offer now. She is in India right now and will go to the consulate for stamping in June.

My Question-

1. For the change of status, one of my family friends provided a bank statement as financial guarantee. This was in Oct - Nov 2006. Can we use the same financial guarantee for F-1 stamping? Or will she need to provide a new one with an India source? How long is a financial guarantee valid, anyway?

2. We had to take an emergency appointment. What documents do we need to show to justify taking that appointment? We have her I-20 stamped with CPT beginning mid-june. We have a letter from her program advisor indicating that the internship is an integral part of her master's program.

3. Do we have to take extra steps to show that she has ties to India and does not intend to immigrate? What could these documents be? One thing is that my H-1B expires April 2008 and she completes her course Dec.2007 and she has indicated that she intends to stay in US until Apr.2008. She has also been to US previously on J1 and B1/B2 visas for 6 and 2 months respectively and always gone back on time. Will that work in her favor?

4. When she goes for stamping at the consulate will she need to carry my H1B documents? She is also getting a letter from her former employer indicating that the company is willing to hire her when she gets back to India.

Any help in the above matters will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,
It will be really helpful for other users who are in the same boat as you are/were if you can post your experiences. I am sure all of us will appreciate this.

Thanks

OK. I am coming back to this thread after a long while, but for future users, my wife was able to get stamping without any problem. She was not asked even once about me or my status.