H4 to F1 procedure

rakshak

Registered Users (C)
I am on H4 for the past 2.7 years. I started my graduate program on H4 and decided to convert to F1 in order to be able to work on campus .My H4 is valid till oct 2006. The college has issued me a new I-20.

Does getting a I-20 mean I am on F1?

I would like to know what is the next step once I get I-20?

I spoke to a lawyer and he says that once I get I-20 there is no other legal complication but after going through this forum I feel I am missing something.

Can someone please help me or atleast tell me where can I look for information.

rakshak said:
I am on H4 for the past 2.7 years. I started my graduate program on H4 and decided to convert to F1 in order to be able to work on campus .My H4 is valid till oct 2006. The college has issued me a new I-20.

Does getting a I-20 mean I am on F1?

I would like to know what is the next step once I get I-20?

I spoke to a lawyer and he says that once I get I-20 there is no other legal complication but after going through this forum I feel I am missing something.

Can someone please help me or atleast tell me where can I look for information.

you can fire your lawyer...i-20 does not automatically give you F1 status, in fact until your f1 status is approved, your i20 is just a piece of paper... and does not give you rights with H4 visa. Your next step is to apply for adjustment of status, only after your f1 status is approved you can be legally employed on campus.

Thanks for replying.

Where should I apply for adjustment of status? What documents do i need to provide and can u please tell me where can I find information on this.
Thanx

rakshak said:
Thanks for replying.

Where should I apply for adjustment of status? What documents do i need to provide and can u please tell me where can I find information on this.
Thanx

I think the best is to go to your school advisor and ask him... plus every school that deals with international students would have this info on their website and in general there is a lot of information out there on the change of status. But generally here is what you need:

1. proof of your current status (visa stamp, both sides of i-94)
2. copy of the passport page
3. filled out for I-539 (can find it on www.uscis.gov)
4. signed I-20
5. fee for change of status (i think $200)
6. receipt of the payment of SEVIS fee ($100)
7. financial documents (each school has a tuition and living expenses, you have to be able to prove that you have enough money to cover the first year)
8. letter explaining why you need to change your status

you will need to file depending on your geographical location with one of the service centers... good luck

remember: change of status will take about 3-4 months; if you are out of status they will NOT grant the change of status and you can only be employed on campus and for not more than 20 hours (generally, however there are exceptions)

pvkby said:
I think the best is to go to your school advisor and ask him... plus every school that deals with international students would have this info on their website and in general there is a lot of information out there on the change of status. But generally here is what you need:

8. letter explaining why you need to change your status

you will need to file depending on your geographical location with one of the service centers... good luck

remember: change of status will take about 3-4 months; if you are out of status they will NOT grant the change of status and you can only be employed on campus and for not more than 20 hours (generally, however there are exceptions)

Hello,
I am in the same boat as rakshak. My PD is July 2002 and I am on H-4. Am applying for COS at the Nebraska office

What sort of informaton do I need to include in the letter explaining why I need to change my status? Apart from the benefits of internship, practical training, assistantships, etc, would I need to mention anything at all about an immigration petition filed for me? Or is it wise to mention the GC retrogression issue (it seems counter intuitive to me) as a factor in changing visas?

Has anyone experience this situation? If so what was the outcome? and how did you craft your cover letter (just looking for broad points I can cover in my letter to USCIS) ?

pvkby

It is not adjustment of status, it is called change of status.
Also F1 visa status does not give any legality to be employed on campus automatically, to work you must get work authorization from USCIS separately.

pvkby said:
you can fire your lawyer...i-20 does not automatically give you F1 status, in fact until your f1 status is approved, your i20 is just a piece of paper... and does not give you rights with H4 visa. Your next step is to apply for adjustment of status, only after your f1 status is approved you can be legally employed on campus.

change of status to F1 during Fall semester

Hi,

I was on H4 during the fall semester 2005. I filed for COS (change of status) in Sept 2005 and it was approved in Oct 2005.

Since I was on H4 when the semester began I was enrolled only for 6 credits (MS student) which is part-time.....9 credits is full time

Will this affect my OPT ??

~VS