H4 to F1 CSC Processing time

phoenixdesi

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

Has anyone who had applied for a change of status from H4 to F1 in the recent past received approvals?
I'd just like to know if USCIS is indeed processing the applications received around the date they mention on their website. Or does it take a little longer than that?

Thanks in advance!

H4-F1 approved in 2 and a half months!

Hey guys,

I can answer my own qs as I have received an approval email from USCIS saying my H4 to F1 application has been approved and the letter is in the mail!! Just want to thank everyone, especially LucyMO for all their help and advice. It really helped me being on this messageboard. If I had simply sent the documents my univ had asked me to, i'm sure i would have at least been asked for more info the first time!!

One last qs, can I get a job/assistantship on campus based on this approval letter or do I have to do anything further? Also, do I get an SSN based on this letter or will I only get it once I have some on-campus employment?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am also applying for COS from H4 to F1.
Please let me know what documents are required?
Do I need to submit my original I-94 or copy of it?
What reason should I write in the letter to USCIS, as I don't have any assistanship.

Please reply soon.
Regards,
resham

Last edited by a moderator:
documents to submit for COS H4 - F1

hi,

here's what i had sent only a few months back and got a COS done smoothly.
send a copy of I-94..not original. give the reason for assistantship as an OPT being necessary to round out your educational experience here in the US. In my case i wrote something like "I would get to intern with a company in the US and gain enriching practical experience that will help me immensely when I return to my home country."
I also sent a letter from my former employer in my home country saying they would be willing to consider hiring me back once i return. this is not necessary for you to send but would be useful. what would be even more useful is having a letter from your dean (check with ur advisor at the univ) saying that an internship is a very important component of your program.

another very imp. thing is sending bank statements which show an average 3-month balance to the tune of the funds your univ has said you need at least for the first year. it shud be stated on ur I-20.

Here's a list of documents to be sent..

Required Documents

1) Check for $195 for USCIS
2) Form I-539
3) Payment confirmation of SEVIS fee of $100
4) Original I-20
5) Copy of I-94 (front and back page)
6) Admission letter to degree program
7) Photocopy of my relevant passport pages
8) Photocopy of my current H4 visa status as on passport
9) Affidavit of Support from my sponsor, who is also my husband
10) Letters from sponsor’s bank stating three-month average balance

Supporting Documents - DEFINITELY SEND THESE TOO, assuming your husband is your sponsor.

11) Letter from sponsor’s employer confirming his full-time status as
employee and also stating current salary
12) Copy of latest pay stub of sponsor
13) Copy of sponsor’s I-797 document
14) Copy of Marriage Certificate
15) Copies of sponsor’s relevant passport pages
16) Copy of sponsor’s H1-B visa as on passport
17) Copy of sponsor’s I-94

HELPFUL DOCUMENTS
18) Letter from Dean, Graduate Studies
19) Brief description of courses offered for the program you have admission for.
20) Letter from my former employer showing intent to re-hire me once I return upon completion of Master’s program
21) Property documents in home country (if possible)

Pls don't use this verbatim. This is just to guide you.

Good Luck!

H4 to F1

I just received the approval for my change of status H4 to F1. It took two months and I am really surprised because, according to their website, it was supposed to take 3 months. Thank you guys for the tips; they helped me a lot during the process!

I have h4 visa and got admission for university. I got my I 20. I would like to apply for COS to F1.

1) Could please give me the format of the cover letter.
2) I have not registered to any courses in that university yet. Do I need to register to courses and then apply for COS?
3) I have gone through USCIS forum and found as "Filing Fee: $300 (make check or money order payable to "Department of Homeland Security"). A single fee covers the primary applicant and any F-2 or J-2 dependents listed on Supplement 1 of Form I-539".
Do I need to pay 195$ or $300?
5) Do I need to file I 539 form even though I am in US.
6) How do I pay the SEVIS fee?Do I need to fill any form?

Please respond me ASAP.

Thanks & regards,
Praneetha