H4 to F1 and green card issues

bumper bumper

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I\'m presently on H4 visa and my husband is still in the Green card process
(Labor Certification). I would like to go to school from this fall semester.

(1) Can i change my visa status from H4 to F1, so that i can avail financial
assistantship and still be part of his green card process?
(2) Suppose i\'m on F1, when he gets to his 485 stage, will i have to go back to H4 to be on his green card porcess?

Or, can you please lemme know about other options available?

No Title

sure, you can either apply for F1 by going to a US consulate or apply for \'change of status\' to F1. it will not affect the green card process in any ways. you dont have to go back to H4 when its time to file 485.

india must be divided in to 10 nations...Khalistan, Muslims, Tamal, and more...where are human right

Mar 4 (APP): India has reaped “universal infamy on account of its communal bloodletting,” with Western experts forecasting “gloom and doom” for the country. Times of India notes that the world media is splattering India’s Hindu-Muslim blood feud on its broadcasts and news pages amid questions about its political and social stability. “Suddenly, India looks like an overblown version of the many violence-wracked small states of Asia and Africa,” the report entitled “Indian earns universal infamy over riots,” said. The bloodbath in Gujarat, the Washington datelined report said, has eclipsed in the Western media all other current issues including the violence in Middle East. Almost all major newspapers and television networks have been carrying wrenching reports about the madness that has seized the “normally placid if chaotic country.” The events are proving to be embarrassing for Indians, Indian-Americans and Indophiles who wear the country’s diversity as a “badge of honour.” The riots, following the fractured political verdict in Uttar Pradesh, has returned western experts on the region to the old theme of forecasting gloom and doom for India. “A combination of widening political cracks and increasing religious violence means India is entering another worrying time,” the respected Economist wrote this week.

Even before the elections and the riots, the India-Pakistan tensions had led former Presidential candidate Steve Forbes to question India’s cohesiveness. “India is not a homogenous state,” Forbes argued in a March 4 comment in his magazine, warning that any attempt by the ruling coalition to wage war could result in the country coming unhinged.

The comment, and the events thereafter, has come as a godsend to Khalistani and Kashmiri groups. “They have now resurfaced to amplify India’s current troubles to the western media, going as far as to urge Secretary of State Colin Powell to condemn Hindu terrorism.” The riots have also featured on the respected television programs like Jim Lehrer News Hour with grim but largely fair commentary.

“This kind of violence, if it ramifies, could really undermine considerably India’s entire attempt to establish what kind of a society it wants to be from this time onward,” Gould said. Richard Lariviere, an academic from University of Texas at Austin and an expert on Indian religious law and Hinduism, put the events in perspective saying “communalism in India is a societal cancer in the same way that racism is a societal cancer in the United States. “ From time to time there are remissions and one is even hopeful that you’re curing these terrible cancers, but then some awful event rips open the new wounds,” he said. But Lariviere was critical of India’s political class, which instead of choosing touch economic prescriptions to rectify the inequities “often articulated political slogans in terms of communal differences.”

consult a lawyer,

My wife had a similar case, but we were in the I-140 stage. The lawywer said that when you go on F1 you are not supposed to have dual intent. IF you are a dependent on a green card application, and apply for F1 at the same time, you are having a Dual Intent.

No Title

A totally absurd article, writer needs to know a lot of realities and educate himself. How about taking some grants/kheraat from some good universities and educate himself so that there is one less Zahil around.

that doesnt seem to be the case in our experience

my wife applied for F1 (by going to a consulate outside US) when we were in I140 stage. she got F1 and we also got I140 approved. now, we are in 485 stage and got our EAD as well as FP done. The visa status of the dependent does not affect the greencard process.

I do not understand why you want to change

I do not understand why you want to change to F1. As an F1 you have to be a full time student. As H4 it does not matter. Also you can get assistance or scholarships even as a H4. My wife is in H4 and she is getting scholarship and in state tuition because of it. I do not know what advantage you will get being F1.