H4 stamping if spouse's H1 not stamped as yet

puhrince

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on H1 and have applied for change of status to H4. My spouse is currently on an approved H1 but hasn't got the H1 stamp as yet(she entered the country on a H4 stamp). We are in the process of relocating to Toronto but I would like to move back and forth between US and Canada to help facilitate our relocation, hence my reasons of gettting a stamping done rather than just move to Canada.

My question here is after I receive my H4 status, can I go on my own to get a H4 stamp or is that possible ONLY if the spouse's H1 is stamped?

puhrince said:
anyone has any inputs on this?

I am not sure where you want to go to stamping. But My wife got her h4 visa stamped twise in chennai consulate without my h1b visa stamped on passport.

SK

you would not need to get H4 stamping done; just use the 30-day revalidation rule.
above may not be an option for you depending on your nationality.
puhrince said:
anyone has any inputs on this?

puhrince said:
I am currently on H1 and have applied for change of status to H4. My spouse is currently on an approved H1 but hasn't got the H1 stamp as yet(she entered the country on a H4 stamp). We are in the process of relocating to Toronto but I would like to move back and forth between US and Canada to help facilitate our relocation, hence my reasons of gettting a stamping done rather than just move to Canada.

My question here is after I receive my H4 status, can I go on my own to get a H4 stamp or is that possible ONLY if the spouse's H1 is stamped?

You can apply for H4 stamping even though principal person does not have H1 stamped. As suggested, use Automatic Visa Re-validation (AVR) process for such transit. visit www.google.com and search for Automatic Visa Re-validation you will get all answers.

dsugandhi, tusharvk, or anyone else - since the original post, I am still waiting for my H4 approval.

At the same time, my wife needs to go to Toronto for an interview in a week or two. Now I understand that the 30 day revalidation rule can be applied for our travel back and forth - my question here is that can I travel across during my change of status? I know that can't be done when one is flying..does the same apply to driving across the border? Do the officers at the border have access to stuff like COS application, etc..? I don't see them having computers in their booths, or maybe they do..? Or I am able to use the revalidation rule only if I get my H4 approval letter?

dsugandhi said:
You can apply for H4 stamping even though principal person does not have H1 stamped. As suggested, use Automatic Visa Re-validation (AVR) process for such transit. visit www.google.com and search for Automatic Visa Re-validation you will get all answers.

H4 stamping for wife without Original H1 approval notice

Hi,

My wife is on H4 and I am on H1(8th year extension).She has gone to India and would be getting her H4 Visa stamped at US consulate.

She does not have Original H1B approval notice with her but she has photocopy of the H1B approval notice.She also has her Original H4 approval notice.

Can she get her H4 visa stamped with these papers ?

For Visa appointment it is mentioned that they need Original H1B Approval notice also

I have 2 options
a) Get my H1B extension thru premium processing and send her original approval notice

b) Let her go to US consulate with the papers she has right now ....

Pls. advise

Thanks.
pls advise.

dude, why are you posting this message in this thread? you can open your own separate thread..not to be rude but this interrupts the current flow.