H4 --> H1 Stamping in Ottawa, Canada

aboppana

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I have appointments at US Consulate in Ottawa, Canada for our H1 stampings in January. My wife was on H4 and got her H1 valid from 1st Oct 2006 and started woking from 15th Oct 2006. This would be my wife's first H1 stamping, Is there any issue in getting H1 stamping in Ottawa with status change from H4 to H1 ? Is anyone in the similar situation? any suggestions and/or experiences would be appreciated.

-ananth.

We are pretty much in the same situation. My wife h4 to h1, started working nov 10th. no education from US but we did education evaluation just in case. me h1 to h1. we are going to montreal on jan 23rd. please anyone answer if its fine for h4 to h1 with 2 pay stubs (no US education) and may have a W-2 for my wife.

H4 to H1 Visa Stamping - Vancouver

Please kindly post your experience after you are done. I am also having jitters mine is on January 22nd. All the best

H1-B Visa stamping Interview at Ottawa Canada

I have the similar situation . I have an interview on Jan 30th 2007. I recently tranferred my H1B with a new employer and H1B transfer has been approved and I also got an extension until Nov-2007.

My Initial H1 B petetion and I-94 is expiring on Jan 29th 2007.

Could anyone guide us on this?

tough, I think it should be ok as long as we have the documentation in order, but just wanted to make sure and see if any precautions needed. I will definitely post our experience.

H4 to H1

Thanks aboppana, I really appreciate you taking time in replying. I am also thinking the same, as far as the documentation is correct then there will not be any problem. Ok then have happy holidays

A place to stay

Do anyone knows which hotal/motel might be the nearest place to US embessy? I myself need to go to ottowa by end of jan 2007.

thanks,
kaungoo

This one is close (half mile) to Consulate, and can walk down.

Quality Hotel Downtown >>
290 Rideau St.
Ottawa, ON, CA

Our appointment was at 8:00 AM on 17th at the Consulate and we drove from Albany, NY to Ottawa via Lansdowne port of entry on 16th evening. We had to complete the formalities at the Canadian Immigration post as we were landing in Canada as Immigrants. We reached Ottawa about 11:00 PM and checked in to the Clarion hotel in GATINEAU, which is about 10 min drive from the consulate. I found Ottawa downtown is a very confusing and easy to get lost.

We took a cab on 17th morning from the hotel and we reached there about 7:30, the fare was $16. It was freezing cold and the temperature was almost -10 and we were allowed into Consulate anout 7:40. They do not allow any thing except for the documents (no lip balm, glue stick, ladies hand bags, cell phones, office bags, laptop bags, chewing gums , etc... are allowed). My wife had to throw her hand bag, nothing in it. They don't let you throw anything in the consulate surroundings. We were security checked, and allowed in to consulate. There were about 4 people ahead of me in the consulate.

at about 7:50, counter 7 was opened and the person is collecting the passport, I-797, Application, DS-157, $100 fee. My wife and I are next to each other in the line to pay the fee. The fee receipt will be given at the time of interview. At about 8:05 counter 2 was opened and a tall guy with serious look started taking interviews. He sounded very serious, but ok. No queries and no rejects, but taking his own time to make sure everything before he issues the visa. He was asking many questions, but the regular expected questions.

People were called in for interview randomly, he called some who came in after us. At about 9:00 window 3 was opened and at 9:20 window 1. They both are ladies. The officer at window 3 was very jovial and she was joking and providing some directions to places as well. We were waiting, waiting and waiting finally my wife's name was called at about 9:35 from the counter 1. My wife's case is H4 to H1.

VO: so you landed in to Canada as Immigrant yesterday?
me: yes maam.

VO: When did you come to US.
my wife: xx-xx-xxxx

VO: How long have you been working
my wife: 4 months

VO: which company do you work for?
my wife: xyz

VO: where?
my wife: abc city

VO: so, you were temperorily there? (as home address is different in the application)
my wife: yes

VO: Where does your husband work?
my wife: xxx

VO: What does your husband do?
my wife: abc

VO: what do you do and your responsibilities?
my wife: blah blah blah...

VO: Can I see the letter that was submitted by your employer, to INS along with your H1B petition.
my wife: yes, and she gave it to her.

Then she looked at it and went way from the counter with the documents and was talking to another person, she came back after 5 min and gave the letter and I-797 back with a token (red color), and asked to collect the passport the next day.

My wife saw my application on VO desk, so she told me that I am next at counter-1. I was called in couple minutes.

me: Good Morning
VO: very good morning

VO: so you landed in to Canada as Immigrant yesterday?
me: yes maam.

VO: How long have you been in US.
me: 6.5 years

VO: Did you have your GC process pending more than year.
me: yes maam. I have my labor pending more than one year. I have the doc if you like to look at it.

VO: What is the priority date?
me: I was trying to recall my priority date.

VO: Can I see the doc.
me: I gave her the document.

VO: What do you do?
me: I am a computer systems analyst. I do blah, blah, blah.. 20 sec.

VO: How long have you been working for this employer?
me: almost 2.5 years

VO: Do you work at your office's corporate office or clinet location.
me: I work at Client's place.

VO: Who is the client?
me: abc

VO: You can pick up your passport tomorrow at 3:00 PM.
me: Thank you maam.

VO: good day
me: thanks, you too have a good day

My interview was about a minute. We collected our passports the next day about 2:50. It was very cool.

Be confident and keep every possible document with you and the VOs and interviews are very cool.

The worst part and I didn't like was the Interview hall was very small in a very huge palace like building.

I hope this helps and good luck to you all. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank yopu so much aboppana , for sharing your thoughts and experiences, it is really useful....

Could you kindly tell us the list of the documents that they might ask apart from the standard documents like DS-156 , I-797 ?

I have an appointment on Feb 7th 2007.

abopanna - Thanks for the posts, they are extremely helpful. Were you able to get your appointment on nvars fairly early, or did u have to settle for a date that was a month or so out?

Dude Cool,
I did get the appointment 8 weeks prior to our appointment. yes, I booked it thru nvars.com. Keep checking the website more often, and you should be able to find the slots available.

prag111,
Here is the check list that I prepared for myself, I think this list covered all possible documents. Double check if I have missed out anything.

1. Mandatory Documents

Appointment Confirmation Letter
Passport
Canada Visa
DS-156
DS-157
Passport Picture
I-797-A
I-129
LCA
$100 cash
Employment Letter (work nature, duration & salary)
Previous Exp Letters
Additional Certifications
Education Certificates
Pay slips
Old Immigration Docs, including GC labor, H1, I-129, LCA, I-797

2. Additional Docs

Education Evaluation
Company supporting letter to embassy
Company letter submitted to INS when H1 was filed
W2 & Tax Returns (for all years in US)
Offer Letter
Updated Resume