H4 - F1 Visas

milind_a

Hello,

My wife is here in U.S. with me for the last 2 years on a H4 visa and plans to go for further M.S. studies here.

Does she have to apply for the F-1 student visa?
If yes, does she have to leave the country to get the F-1 visa stamped on her passport (change her status from H4 to F-1) after it is issued?

Thanks,

on H4 visa u can study in US .

there are some advantages and disadvantage of F1 and H4 .

advantage of H4.

1. if u can prove that u stay in that perticular state for more then 1 year, u get residnacy status and has to pay low fees.

2. need not be a full time student, he/she can take any no of subjects confortable with. ( not the case with F1 , F1 visa holder has to take full time subjects ).

disadvantage of H4

1. cant work in collage or else where . ( in F1 , can get work in collage and after some 9 months of F1 can work outside with collage permision or something )

2. cant take practical trainging ( paid training which most of the F1 takes after complition of course ) this training many times helps in getting a very good job or even H1 sponsorer ...

above are the things i found out for my wife , she has complited her first year in MS and we have applied for her transfer to F1..

this can also be a safe guard in case if i loose my job then she can complite her studies and at worse i can stay here and search for job for more time...

Thanks for the reply.

But does she have to leave the country to get her F-1 visa, or can this change of status from H4 to F1 be done from within U.S?
Secondly as you said, she can prove that she is staying in a state for more than a year and get a residency status.
But what happens if we move out of the state and transfer her admission to an university within that state? Can she still continue her studies on a H4 visa there?

for stamping the visa she has to go out of country, there is no need to do it immidiately , as per my understanding, as far as i understands since she will get I - 94 for F1 and she can get her social security no. based on that .

she can on H4 study in US ( anywhere in US ) only diffrence is if she is staying in the same state and can prove the residency requirements then the fees in many collages will be low, same as citizens ( international students has to pay more fees ).

H4 to F1

I am on H4 visa and doing masters. Now I want to apply for change of status from H-4 to F-1. I have following questions:

1. How much time it takes getting the status changed after applying to INS?
2. What reason should I give to INS supporting my request for status change?
3. What is the possibility that INS will reject my change of status application?
4. If INS straight away denies my application what will happen to my H4, will it be invalidated as well?
5. What all documents I need to submit supporting my application.

I will highly appreciate your early reply

Thanks
Garima

Hello Garima,

We applied for Change of Status from H4 to F1 for my wife. The case got approved within 2 months at Vermont Service Center (Receive date: 19 July, Approve Date: 19 August).

1) Now they are saying that this kind of change of status takes usually 20 to 40 days (this is much more faster than previously).

2) You may give this reason: possible on-campus research opprotunity. Say that you were on H4 and were taking courses, if it is true. We did exatcly same.

3) Very less possibily to reject your case, unless lack of documents or somewhere out of status or lack of funds, etc.

4) No, if you are on valid H4 and if you F-1 denies - you are still on H4 visa as far as your spouce is on valid H1B visa.

5) Contact your international student service center at your school. Mostly you will need these documents: I-20, I-94, I-539 form, proof of funds (letter from bank), sponsorship documents, copy of passport, all documents related to prove that you were in valid status thourghout once you came to USA, etc. Don't hesitate to put more documents unless it is not related. More information is good.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

H4 to F1

Hi,

We applied for change of status (H4 to F1) for my wife recently (08/26/02). I sent in the documentation to the Vermont Service center.

Could someone tell me
1) If Vermont Service center sends some sort of notification that they received the documentation and that they are processing the case (we have UPS online receipt notice but nothing from INS itself).

2) Is there some number I can call to follow up on the case ?

Thanks in advance.

Well INS should provide you with an EAC # and a receipt date. You can call Vermont centre at 802-527-4913 and punch in your EAC # and it should give you the status of your case. Note: It is an automated system.