H4 and Driver's License

bnks

Registered Users (C)
Hello srilatha.alase

My spouse is in the same boat too. But we wrote a letter to the Secretary of State's office explaining our situation and here's the reply we got from them:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE DRIVER SERVICES DEPARTMENT

17 NORTH STATE STREET
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60602
JESSE WHITE
SECRETARY OF STATE

Date: xx-xx-xxxx

Dear Mr./Ms.xxxxxxx:

Secretary of State Jesse White asked that I respond to your e-mail.

For the past two years, the Secretary of State's Office has been reviewing the Temporary Driver's License requirements, statistics and possibilities for fraud. In light of the study and in the wake of the tragedy of September 11, 2001, an applicant for an Illinois Driver's License (and/or a State of Illinois Identification Card, as well) must possess a valid social security number. This is the statutory requirement. Also, the Office of the Secretary of State is not issuing any form of letter for licensing purposes.

However, visitors to this country who possess a valid driver's license from their home country may drive in Illinois for the duration of their visit on their home jurisdiction's driver's license. The time period is not limited so long as the driver's license remains current and valid and provided your vehicle is of the same classification as the vehicle you intend to drive.

If you should have any further questions regarding this or any other matters relating to an Illinois Driver License, an Illinois State Identification Card or our Driver Facilities please refer to our web site at www.cyberdriveillinois.com

Very truly yours;
Rob Moreno
Rob Moreno, Deputy Director
Driver Services Department
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We decided to drive using this letter and the driver's license from our home country. So you can decide based on what is best for your situation.

(goto IL SOS website which I think is www.cyberdriveillinois.com for more details).

Hope this helps!

DL for Dependent visa

Does Any one has experience of getting Driver's Licence for Dependent visa like F2/H4 in New York, since DMV office is insisting on SSN.