H4 and driver license

slp2

Registered Users (C)
I was told that H4 nowadays will not be able to apply for Social Security Number and driver license after 9.11 event. Does anyone have any input? thanks

No Title

Go to the ssn office with the passport they will give you a letter which will help you for opening a bank account and drivers licence

Apply for ITIN

Apply for ITIN number to IRS. Download the ITIN Application from IRS.GOV and fill it out send to IRS with required photocopy & notarized documents and within two months IRS should mail you the ITIN Card.

After you get the ITIN Card go to any bank with your spouse who holds the H4 visa and he / she can open a checking account and a savings account. Remember to apply for ATM Card for Savings Account and MasterCard / Visa Debit Card for Checking Account.

After you get the above things wait for getting her first bank statement or at least one cancelled check returned from bank.

After that go to NY DMV and get the State ID / Drivers License presenting following things (You need to prove six points)

Passport with h4 Visa + I 94 => 3 point
ATM Card = 1 Point
Bank Statement = 1 Point
MasterCard / Visa = 1 Point
Cancelled Check = 1 Point

I did the same way and my wife got her State ID + Drivers License. Some bank of NY dont ask for ITIN / SSN number ... Try this approach first. Ask them to open an account under W8 .. as a foreigner. If you are refused from one bank dont worry try with some other.

Hope this guideline helps!

H4 Visa + DMV

Hi Gurus,
I will be getting married next month :))
here are the following questions, if you guys could help me out here pls, i would very much appreciate it.

1. My Driver license is valid till Sept, 2005.
2. My visa expires in Feb'2005.
3. Passport expires in April'2005.

Questions.
1. For my wife is there something I can do before she gets here, like apply for Tax ID ?
2. Open her bank account ?
3. I want that she gets her license, TaxId in 10-15 days after she comes here.
4. What do you guys think that you should have done before she came in States ?
5. How much time does all this take ?

Re: H4 Visa + DMV

Originally posted by vivek1975
Hi Gurus,
I will be getting married next month :))
here are the following questions, if you guys could help me out here pls, i would very much appreciate it.

1. My Driver license is valid till Sept, 2005.
2. My visa expires in Feb'2005.
3. Passport expires in April'2005.

Questions.
1. For my wife is there something I can do before she gets here, like apply for Tax ID ?
2. Open her bank account ?
3. I want that she gets her license, TaxId in 10-15 days after she comes here.
4. What do you guys think that you should have done before she came in States ?
5. How much time does all this take ?

Pretty much nothing!
Can't apply for ITIN or open for a bank a/c without personal presence. You will not be able to apply for ITIN (read my above post).

So don't worry and just chill out ...