H1to H1 and H4 to H1 stamping approved in Vancouver, Canada

mehul73

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone.

I got my H1 to H1 stamping done in Vancouver on Dec 7th 2001. Also my wife got her H4 to H1 stamping done the same day in Vancouver.

Details of my trip for those who need some help.

I flew to Seattle and then drove to Vancouver. At the Canadian border, they just asked us if we had been to Canada earlier, to which I answered yes since we had been there in May 2001 and then he asked us the reason for our current visit for which I told him we had an appointment at US consulate and showed him our appointment letters. We were asked to go to a window and get a stamp on our passport. So I proceeded to the window where the lady asked me who is my employer and what is the kind of work i do and immediately stamped Canadian entry into my passport. The whole process took just 10-15 minutes. Then I drove to Vancouver and the next day in the morning @ 8:00 I had an appointment at US Consulate. So I stayed at Days Inn (921 W Pender Street) which is just 1 block from US Consulate. I reached the consulate @ 7:40am and we (my wife and myself) were 2nd in line over there. They took us in @ about 8:25am (yeah we got in late, since the cashier didnt arrive on time and they didnt start until the cashier arrived). We paid USD 45 per person as an application fee (make sure you take exact cash, they DONT take you in if you dont have exact cash, the guard checks right at the entrance and wont let you in until you show him exact cash) Once you are in the consulate cashier will take your passport and the application form and USD 45 and will ask you to take a place. Since my wife (H4-H1) was second in line, she was called at the window within 5 minutes and the lady asked her is this your first time for an H1 visa stamp, my wife answered yes, then the lady asked do you have US education, to which my wife answered NO and then the lady asked her to show H1-B (797) approval notice and a letter from her employer. She gave both the documents and within a minute the lady asked to go and pay the fees (USD 75) on the 20th floor. Her visa was approved. Next was my turn (H1-H1), when I reached the window, she asked me to provide my H1-B approval notice and employer letter and as soon as I gave her those 2 documents, she just glanced at it and asked me to go an pay the fees on the 20th floor.

We didnt have any problems at all. We paid the fees and went back @ 2:30pm (yeah the time has changed. now they call you between 2:30-3:00pm) and we got our passport back.

We stayed over the weekend (Vancouver is a beatiful place). And on Sunday we headed back for US. At the US border they checked our car thorughly and also opened all our bags (they were doing this to each and every car). We were asked for our passports and H1-B. Then they just asked us what status were we holding last december and why were we in canada and where do you live in US. As soon as we answered those questions, we were asked to park the car on side and go to the immigration department and get our new I-94. The whole process from reaching the border to leaving the border took no more than 30 minutes.

I hope this helps.

thanks

Work Experience?

Hi,
I am planning to go to Vancouver to get my H1 stamped from H4. I am a bit nervous as I have a three year degree and 4 years of experience out of which 1 1/1 yrs of expirience is in US. How many years of degree and experience does your wife have?

Thanks,
Priyanka

HI there...

Does one need to do anything in particular with the rental car agency to drive from Seattle (USA) to Vancouver(CANADA)??

Thanks for your time.
Senthil