H1B with DOS

chasaroo

Registered Users (C)
Dear Hadron

have been reading from this forum. I have a fav Rec. from DOS under conrad 30 on june 23rd which went to the Texas center. Finally received receipt from USCIS on july 19th. Lawyer went ahead and send H1B application(premium processing) with request to also process j1 waiver. But all H1Bs now go to Vermont service center.

In one of your reponses you mentioned that the H1B will not be approved if ithe service center that as your j1 waiver application is different and one would have to wait for the final j1 waiver. Is this true?

Do you know how long it is taking the Texas service center to process j1 waivers that have fav. rec. from DOS?

Thanks

Did you check the current processing dates at TSC?

chasaroo said:
Dear Hadron

have been reading from this forum. I have a fav Rec. from DOS under conrad 30 on june 23rd which went to the Texas center. Finally received receipt from USCIS on july 19th. Lawyer went ahead and send H1B application(premium processing) with request to also process j1 waiver. But all H1Bs now go to Vermont service center.

In one of your reponses you mentioned that the H1B will not be approved if ithe service center that as your j1 waiver application is different and one would have to wait for the final j1 waiver. Is this true?

Do you know how long it is taking the Texas service center to process j1 waivers that have fav. rec. from DOS?

Thanks

Did you check the current processing dates for J-1 processing at TSC? It might be helpful for a timeline picture, maybe.

For a better picture, also ask your lawyer to check with either other lawyers or even with other contacts (they usually have these kind of contacts) - not just give you the standard BCIS reply!

There is a website that tracks such info based on what people like you and me post - I saw a reference to it on these forums a long time ago! I will try to look it up, and post it if I find it!

I remember that my lawyer had actually filed H-1B regular processing once we had the state health recommendation. It turned out to be perfect timing with both J-1 waiver and H-1B getting approved nearly together- the only thing that worked for us in 2002-2003 (when USDA cancelled their Program)!

I do not remember all that happened or all conversations at that time, but I was told that they try to look for your J-1 waiver if your H-1B comes up for consideration before your J-1 waiver approval! I think that it is actually a smart ploy to use Premium processing by your lawyer - I have heard that it actually works. I think somewhere in the BCIS Manual it is written that they are supposed to try to find linked petitions and also address them at the same time! Maybe, hadron or other knowledgeable people know more about this aspect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Statin_doc

Thanks for the reply. I did look at the processing time for Texas but as per the lawyer it is referring to the hardship waiver cases as they are still stuck in March 2006. At the bottom of all the processing times i does say that you should get a response in 60 days. However, there are people in this forum who have waited longer than 60 days.

My lawyer did go on the immigration lawyer forum and there are several lawyers that are sending in the H1 before the j1 waiver arrives from USCIS.
They have been successful. However, she could not comment re: whether their h1b went to a different service center from the j1 waiver.

So when I saw a comment in one of hadron's responses re: if your H1B goes to a different svc center than your J1 then they would request a final waiver first. Hence, i was verifying if this was true as mine is the case. My waiver rec was sent to Texas but my H1B went to vermont.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the recommendation was from the DOS for conrad 30 and sent to Texas service center for the final waiver review.

It is a c###shoot. Some processing centers (officers, days of the week) approve I129s concurrent with the waiver, others send you an RFE that they need a copy of the actual waiver.

The processing times on the website are meaningless.

Sharing time line

I found this forum very helpful but was always looking for someones time line. I guess when u are waiting, you want to know you are not the only one.

01/28/06: initial application and fees to DOS
02/06/06: DOS acknowleged receipt.
5/22/06: Dep. of state sent in application for conrad 30
5/31/06: DOS acknowleged receipt but did not post on status till june 14th.
6/23/06: Fav. Recommendation from DOS for conrad 30 sent to USCIS Texas center
7/26/06: Lawyer received notice of action receipt form USCIS texas center dated 07/19/06.
7/26/06: Sent in H1B premium processing to Vermont Center
8/2/06: Lawyer received approved email of H1B and USCIS status update of approval J waiver

i applied for H1B through premium processing based on DOS approval and it got approved before the USCIS waiver. then my lawyer sent them a request to approve the J1 waiver, and they approved it on the next day.
DOS approval=2/27/06
H1B petition=6/5/06
H1B approval=6/20/06
USCIS approval=6/23/06