H1B Visa Question

gcmani

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My friend (Indian) currently has H1B visa valid till May 2004. and working. She got an offer from new company who said they will apply for "New" H1 visa and NOT "Transfer" the current visa.
(I am not sure in what way they are different except that new H1 visa comes under H1B Cap and Transfer may not)

Once the new visa approval notice comes , can my friend get the
the visa stamping (or revalidation) done in USA itself by sending her passport to St.Louis/WashingtonDC
OR
She need to go to India and get the stamping done??

Pl.let me know

Thanks

Can be sent to DC!

As far as I know, she may be able to send to DC and get the visa stamped. Thats how I got stamped few years ago!

I don't think there were any rule changes in this regard!!

I got the stamping here

but i remember reading somewhere that Visa revalidation within the US has been stopped.

They can transfer it easily and they will also extend it to three years from date of application. dont know why they arent doing it.

If the new H1 is not a transfer, then you need to go out of the country and re-enter on H1 to be able to work (you can not revalidate it in US).

I don't understand why they don't want to do a transfer. If you apply for transfer, you can start working for the new company immediately, you can re-validate the visa in US and you don't have to worry about the H1 cap.