H1B Stamping/Revalidation DONE In The Bahamas

hello,
In bahamas are they re-validating expired H1 but with a new employer, that is can one revalidate a H1 with a new employer after the old H1 expired with a previous employer or the re-validation extension has to be with the same employer.
Any inputs will help

Planning and Visa stamping experience in the Bahamas

This forum has been so helpful to me, so I think it is time that share my H1 visa (and my wife's H4) stamping experience at the Nassau consulate in the Bahamas.

1. Researched the visa process in the Bahamas, the Bahamian visitor visa etc, read through the posts on this thread.
2. Bought the PIN from 1-800-763-6812 using a Credit Card for $14, continued to appointment scheduling
3. Verifying the available dates was a bit of a hassle since I could not see all the available dates and the operator was only answering in yes or no for the dates I asked about, so I hung up for then (wanted to save the time from the available 8 minutes)
4. Made a list of all the dates that I was able to take off from work and travel such that I had the extra working day after the appointment to collect my passport (since I read that they do not return the passports the same day). Checked the ticket and Hotel prices for these dates on the travel booking sites to make sure that I don't end up scheduling during the expensive periods (like weekends).
5. Called the 1-800-... number again and booked our appointments on one of the dates from my list.
6. Booked my tickets and Hotel on yahoo.
7. Downloaded the visa forms for the Bahamian visa and called the Bahamian consulate in New York for the time to apply. (You can apply before 1:00 PM in New York)
8. Went to the Bahamas consulate in New York with my passport, I797 (proof of legal presence in the US), travel itinerary and the application forms.
9. Since my US visa had expired and I told the lady that we had an appointment at the Nassau Embassy, she made me write a letter stating the details of the visa appointments and go to my Bank around the block have it notarized. (This step is not-documented anywhere)
10. Gathered all my documents.
11. Called the 1-800-.. number again, bought a new scratch card and went on to talk to the operator, this time to confirm the appointment dates and times and also to make sure that I had all the documents that they were expecting. The operator gave the following as the required documents
a. DS-156
b. DS-157
c. I797
d. letter from employer
e. bank statements
f. marriage certificate (for H4)
12. Flew to the Nassau got a rental car and drove to the Hotel. Found out the location of consulate and how to get there so that I don't get delayed on the road for the actual appointment.
13. Went the consulate about 30 minutes before the appointment time and had to go through two security check points. (No electronics or cell phones allowed inside the building)
14. Handed over the application forms and other papers for verification, once the lady was satisfied with them she directed me to the fees counter.
15. I paid the fees (unlike in India or Canada... this was in cash... US dollars... it was good that I didn't have to run around the banks to pay these fees)
16. Waited until my name was called.
17. The guy took my fingerprints, asked for the employment letter from my employer and asked me a few of the regular questions and here they are
a. Is a new visa or a re-validation (only re-validations done at this consulate for non-Bahamians)
b. Is it with same company or a new company?
c. How long have you been working there?
d. Where is the company?
e. How many people work there?
f. Which school did I go to?

That was it. He then asked when I was traveling back to the US and gave me the tokens to collect the passports the next day. (He was asking some people who didn’t' have much time left in the Bahamas to collect the passports the same day. I still recommend for an extra day's stay)

Bahamas is a beautiful place, nice helpful people, lot of beaches and water sports and interesting food (at least the "Conch" dishes were).
Although the trip was a success my choice of Hotel "The Nassau Palm Resort and Conference Center" was the biggest disappointment, it was as bad as (if not worse than) a cheap rent-by-the-hour motel both in appearance and service. This place is close to the consulate but so are the Hilton, Quality Inn and others. The other Hotels that I checked out like the Wyndham, Comfort Suites, Nassau Beach Hotel were so much better and getting to the Town area from anywhere on the island is easy, there are a lot of local buses that charge a dollar and lot of taxis. So unless you want to save a couple of hundred bucks, I wouldn't recommend this hotel".

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude,

Can you give us more information about the process, visa requirments to re-validate the H1 Visa from Costa rica?

Like which City to go to..how to book appointment, any website etc.

Thanks in advance

Re-validation with same employer or new employer

Hello, In Bahamas was the re-validation done with the same employer or a new employer . That is , it it possible to re-validate H1 if employer has changed ?

Can someone with first-hand experience post more information on h1b stamping in Costa Rica.
Appreciate your help!!

Revalidating expired H1b in Bahamas

Hi

I am planning to go The Bahamas for revalidation and stamping with my spouse and children (US Citizens). My current H1b and I-94 expired Mid March. Does anyone know if the US embassy in Bahamas will revalidate based on Approved I-797?. When I was trying to get information on how to apply for Bahamas visitors visa on the link (http://www.un.int/bahamas/Foreign_Nationals_Working_In_The_US.htm), it said
'Persons holding expired H1 B visas must apply to a US Embassy to obtain a new H1 B visa once they have left the US to visit any country other than Canada and Mexico. This application cannot be done at the US Embassy in The Bahamas.'
What does this mean?

Secondly, anyone got the visitors visa by mail - what embassy to mail to - NY or FL? what form to use? I found this one (http://www.un.int/bahamas/visa app.pdf) but does not look like an official form

US embassy is doing re validations!

Bahamian Embassy has no jurisdiction as to what US embassy is doing or not so i will ignore those comments on the site about that US embassy is not doing stamping for the 3rd country citizens.
i have also seen this text and talked to my attorney and she said the same.
we wrote a email to US embassy and they are cool with it
hope this wll help.
I am going for my re validation on 15th of this month. prev h1b expired 2 years ago..
have EAD and Advance Parole, but planning to get married and bring my wife on h4... will post the experience on 18th once i am back.

that form typed in MS word is the official form for the bahamas and you can do the mail in visa from any of the embassy... it will take 4- 8 days to receive the visa.
Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks buddy
This helps. do you have a scanned version to the mail you guys wrote to US embassy? I am just being cautious as I will be travelling with my 2 daughters, one of them 6 months old. I plan to go aroung 2nd or 3rd week of May. where did you book your hotels?

Best of luck for the revalidation

i dont have scanned as its a email and here is what i received from my attorney

(my name is Harry and my attorney Carol) i had the same doubts what you are going through.. i am going on next tuesday.. i got the bahamas visa today( was a breeze to get it)... will post more experiences..

----original email as received from my attorney in turn received from US embassy Nassau----- let me know if I can help with more doubts..
Best of Luck!

Harry!

This is the answer I just got from the US Embassy in Nassau, Bahamas. The questions was: Can a Citizen of India, with expired H-1, get new H-1 visa in Nassau. As you can see, they answered in the affirmative.

Regards,

Carol

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:00 PM
To: Carol
Subject: RE: Inquiry

Yes and appointment is required.

How to Apply for a Visa to the United States of America

Please note that enhanced border security measures now require a personal appearance at the visa interview for all persons 14 to 79 years of age. Those under 14 or over 79 may send their applications and required documentation to the Embassy by courier, or another person may bring them on their behalf, without making an appointment for a personal interview.

Persons wishing to apply for a visa for travel to the United States must first schedule an interview appointment through the Embassy's Visa Information Service (VIS) before applying at the Visa Section of the U.S. Embassy in Nassau. Non-immigrant visa applicants may contact the VIS by calling 1-800-763-6812 from the Bahamas or the United States, or 1-877-709-1892 from the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Callers to the Visa Information Service will need to obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access the service. Applicants can purchase a PIN at a local distribution center, listed at www.usvisascratchcards.info, or by charging the $14 fee to a Mastercard or Visa at the commencement of the call.

Visa Information Service operators will provide information on the visa application process and its requirements. Callers will also be able to schedule an appointment for their visa interview, working with the operator to find the most convenient time for an appointment.

find the most convenient time for an appointment.

Upon arriving in the Visa Section, applicants will be asked to give their documents to a Visa Section employee who will organize the papers, attach their photograph and supporting documentation, as required. The applicant will then proceed to the Cashier’s window to pay his or her fee. After the data is entered into the computer system, the applicants will be called to a window for an interview and digital scan of their fingerprints. This process typically takes about 30-60 minutes, depending on the number of applicants on any given day.

If the visa application is approved, the visa is typically ready for pick-up between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. on the same day if the applicant lives off the island of New Providence, or next day if the applicant lives on the island of New Providence. However, please be aware that occasionally there is a delay in the processing or printing of the visas that is beyond the Embassy’s control and the visa may not be ready on the specified day.

Non-immigrant Visa Hours

7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Monday to Thursday (except holidays).

Documentary Requirements for Visa Applicants

Whether the application is presented in person or by courier, all visa applicants must present:

A valid passport, with at least six months validity remaining, and any previous passports you have held which are still in your possession. A report is required for any lost/stolen passports.
A fully completed and signed application form DS-156 (and DS-157 to be completed by all male applicants from age 16 through 45.) All forms must be completed online at http://evisaforms.state.gov and then printed out and signed. The DS-157 form can also be found at: www.travel.state.gov (click on Visas and follow the links).
A passport-size photograph taken within the past six months; plain white background, no head coverings. Hair should be pushed away from the face. (Glasses may be worn if there is no glare and eyes are clearly visible.) See photo specifications at www.travel.state.gov.
$100.00 in exact change (all Bahamian or all U.S. -- no mixed currencies). Payment is by cash, postal money order or certified check only.
Each applicant must also present evidence of his or her ties to the Bahamas or another country outside the United States to which he or she will return after the visit. Because each individual’s circumstances are unique, it is impossible to specify what documents will satisfy this requirement. The deciding factor is not the number or kind of documents presented, but the individual circumstances of each applicant. Most applicants who are employed present a letter from their employer, or a business license for self- employed persons.
Work/resident permits for those who are residents, but not citizens, of the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos Islands
Retired persons receiving pension payments should submit a letter, from the institution that pays the pension benefits, stating the benefit amount.
When applying for visas for minor children, the above documents are required, including parents’ employment letters. For those under age 14, please include parents’ passports and the child’s birth certificate.
For applications for special visas (student visas, work visas, crew visas, etc), please see “Types of Visas” on our website, http://nassau.usembassy.gov for additional information. Please refer to www.travel.state.gov for information on visa types not discussed on our website.
Additional documentation or information may be requested from the applicant during the interview, if determined necessary by the interviewing consular officer.

Should you have further questions, please contact the visa section by e-mailing visanassau@state.gov. Emailing is the most efficient way to get your information. Most emails are answered in 24-48 hours.

Visa Nassau

Just so you know

The form you get online on the bahamian webstie is refilled at the embassy and i still recomment to take it filled as it makes it easier to fill the blue form they provide at the embassy.
;)

Thanks buddy
This helps. do you have a scanned version to the mail you guys wrote to US embassy? I am just being cautious as I will be travelling with my 2 daughters, one of them 6 months old. I plan to go aroung 2nd or 3rd week of May. where did you book your hotels?

Best of luck for the revalidation

you can book your tickets from expedia.com.. Airport code being NAS for the Nassau or new providence.
:)

stamping done

Although counsellors are grilling and refusing a lot of people at this embassy but no problems with a genuine case as long as your company is quite established.
Saw a couple with a kid getting refused as thier company was a small time shop and the counsellor was not sure of thier existance.
Mine was done without a hassle and i got the passport the next day
Bahamas was a gr8! experience..

Although counsellors are grilling and refusing a lot of people at this embassy but no problems with a genuine case as long as your company is quite established.
Saw a couple with a kid getting refused as thier company was a small time shop and the counsellor was not sure of thier existance.
Mine was done without a hassle and i got the passport the next day
Bahamas was a gr8! experience..

congrats....!!!!

Hey so you know what happened to that couple who got the visas refused? I have an may 14th appointment and my current visa expired back in march. If they refuse, will i be able to re-enter us???

congrats....!!!!

Hey so you know what happened to that couple who got the visas refused? I have an may 14th appointment and my current visa expired back in march. If they refuse, will i be able to re-enter us???

that couple was not given visa and they were told to either go back to home country(india) or wait for 2 weeks in bahamas to get a decision after investigating thier employer. Actually i could tell there was something wrong with thier visa anyways. Guy had h4 (expired) and wife had h1b expired but she was preparing outside the embassy by reading her job description(quite weird) the counsellor was pretty smart to catch em.
On top of that the guy had the audacity to mention to her that even if u deny me a visa i will travel back on travel permit, which is so wrong to do as the counsellor can mark her case in the system to grilled bluntly at the port of entry.
In your case if u dont have a travel permit and if they deny it.. yes you wont be able to enter back, but if your case is genuine and your compnay (h1b sponsor ) is well established then i dont see a problem like in my case.. its a 150 MILL plus company and on top of that its apublic company.
she asked me ok type question about the company and thats it.
so i will suggest to go confidently as long as you know that you have not done any wrong and that your compnay has been filing taxes on time and in the right manner.. and be confident to answer all the questions...and answer them as truthfully as possible or as much as you know.
let me know if u have any specific questions.... would love to help u out.
Best of Luck!!!!!:)

harpartaps
well I have been here in the US from more than 6 yrs and have got couple of visa stamping (change of employer) but all stamping were done in India. this is the first time to a non-india embassy and my current H1b is expired. My employer is agood company with about 600 employees but seems they goofed by something in last few months and I have heard that they are under some audit. this makes my situation more difficult. What is a travel permit???

travel permit is received when ur green card has a approved labor stage and has the i-140 penbding.. basically is a document which enables u to travel without the need of the visa in the passport...(passport needs to be valid)
i dont see an audit being a issue as it has nothing to do with employee of the company ... dont worry i had exactly the same case like yours and i was quite confident of getting it without a hassle. As long as your company has some kind of web presence or shows up in search in the google.. you should not have anu issues.. All she asked me was about my compnay and didnt bother to check any documents.. but take everything u can and you have... i dont see any issues.. best of luck and travel with peace of mind.
let me know the outcome
I am leaving for india in next 3 hours... will check the posts from india
take care
H

Stamping at bahamas as we are in florida

hello greatGC,,
My wife was on H4 and she got H1 approved 797 in oct 07 and she got a offer in dec07 for fulltime.so she has changed with out paystubs.Now we may need to go for stamping.

So my question is can my wife go bahamas?as she has 797 and i94 valid till 2010 but she dont have stamped in the passport till now.

I guess bahamas is near for us for stamping..

Think twice for 1st time stampers

gmdatt,

I had been to bahamas for stamping and it was a great experience. The stamping went on fine and also I had a nice 11 day vacation - the best ever had.

The stamping went very smooth and they asked me to collect the Passport the next day so have some spare days after appointment. There was a couple in front of us - the spouse had a new H1 (h4 to h1) - 1st time stamping. The office gave them a very hard time and also it seemed like their case was a bit goofy. the wife did not have paystubs and she worked!! and then the reason she did n't have paystubs is because she was on leave but to health reasons! well - then did she work on vacations without paystubs..!! After a lof on mining the office was kind enough to give a 2 months valid I-94 so she could return back with her husband--- I think she was 'Too' lucky.

Think twice before you go. best of luck.

Applying for Bahamas Visa by Mail - Quick Question

I live in Chicago and if the only option I seem to have to obtain a Bahamas Visa is to courier all the paperwork and Passport to the Embassy in Washington DC. However, I find the instructions that they have given in the website and the form is quite vague. The requirements document mentions that people traveling to Bahamas for H1B Visa revalidation should send in the Valid H1b approval notice along with the application. What do they mean by "Valid"? Are they asking me to courier the Original H1B approval document or a clear copy should do? I was just about to send the papers by mail and got stumped with this requirement... Does someone have any experience of obtaining the Bahamas Visa by Mail... Please help.