H1B Stamping Question

sandipchowta

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I did my bachelors over here and was graduated in May 2007. Got an internship in a company and then they offered me full time position and got my H1 in October 2008. Been working for almost 2 years now and planning to go back to my country Pakistan.

I called my company lawyer and she stated clearly that for the first time stamping i had to go back to my country. Couple of questions from you guys.

1) How long does it takes for Pakistan Embassy to get my H1 stamped and get the US visa as it has already been expired ?
2) Has anyone been rejected for H1 Stamping ?
3) What documents do i need to fill out ?

I am asking these questions because i am only getting 30 days of vacations and i've seen my cousins back in 2006 or 07 that they got their passport back in 6 months. I might loose my job by that time so wanted to make sure.
Thanks for your support.

A1: You will apply for your visa at the US embassy in Islamabad, not at the "Pakistan Embassy". It may take less than a week or may take a few months. It all depends on how long your name check takes.
A2: Yes
A3: DS-156 and DS-157 for sure. The embassy will give you a complete list of forms needed.

1) How long does it takes for Pakistan Embassy to get my H1 stamped and get the US visa as it has already been expired ?
2) Has anyone been rejected for H1 Stamping ?
3) What documents do i need to fill out ?

Thanks for the information. Actually this is what i was worried about. I think i will ask for 2 month vacation as i have read on the forums that some of the people got their stamping in 6 months.

Don't know if my company can wait that long. I just wish that the process can be a little faster.

You might be done faster then you think, it will all depend on your situation but yes, you have to take this risk. It use to be fast back in early 2000 but things have changed since then.

You can continue to work on your H1 approval but can't go outside US. Talk to your employer, I am sure they will understand your situation. Good luck!

Thanks man. They have told me that i can work from home if it takes more than a month. I hope that i can get it done in one month.

Can you please tell me if there is anything else i need to take to the US Embassy :-

1) Offer Letter
2) Tax return for last year and this year.
3) My Bachelors degree Transcripts
4) My Bachelors Degree
5) Current H1 approval document i believe it is I-797
6) Current lease agreement
7) driving liscense
8) Social Security #
9) My previous I-20 from the school which i graduated
10) My OPT card

Pay stubs.
Reference letter form your employer.

Just to speed up the things, i don't know if you can take appointment with American Express ahead of time.

On a side note, think about applying for Canada PR as a backup.

Best of luck!

Yea i think i can get the appointment online which i will do in February cause i am leaving in March. Hope all goes well and thanks for the input. Will update this thread once i come back.

I don't think i can get an appointment online. Anyone who is from Pakistan should submit all of his documents through American Express branch. Because of that i think i have to be in person in order to get the interview date. I got all of my documents and let's see if i get the visa and my h1 approved by the end of march.

So i got the interview date on Feb 10th for Islamabad US Embassy

Me: Hello how are you ?
Vo: Fine thanks yourself ?
Me: fine thank you.
Vo: How long you have been working with the company ?
Me: 2 years
Vo: When did you come to PK
Me: Feb26th
Vo: So you changed your status from F1 to H1 ?
Me: Yes mam.
Vo: You have been living over there for quite some time.
Me: yes mam.
Vo: Can i see your pay stubs please ?
Me: Sure. There you go.
Vo: I am approving your visa but your passport has to go through admin processing. I don't know the exact time but you should be able to get it back within 2 weeks. So please tell your manager about this.
Me: Sure mam thank you so much.
Vo: Take this white paper which states that your visa has been approved but need admin processing and if you need to inquire more about your passport you can always email xyz@..com.
Me: Perfect. Thank you and have a great day.

Just curious to see if i will really get my passport back in 2 weeks as per the VO ? or will it take the same 4 - 8 weeks ?. Let me know if anyone needs information on the documents.

Anyone who is from Pakistan should submit all of his documents through American Express branch. Because of that i think i have to be in person in order to get the interview date. I got all of my documents and let's see if i get the visa and my h1 approved by the end of march.