H1B Stamping Experience in Vancouver, CA (I GOT IT) PRT.1

missie

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone!

I got my H1-B Stamping in Vancouver on December 3rd! YAY! Thank you to all who posted their experience prior to my trip. It really helps a lot. I just thought I would do the same and post a really detail description of my experience....

AIRPORT AND CANADIAN IMMIGRATION EXPERIENCE:
I did not need a Canadian Visa to visit Canada. I flew in to Vancouver, BC. In the airplane, I was given a "Custom Declaration Form" to fill. This is a really simple form to fill-up and it\'s simply asking you for your basic info like name and asked if you have possession of weapons, illegal goods etc... I just put \'NO\'.

Upon arrival in the Vancouver International Aiport, I had to go through a really long line as with the rest of the international folks arriving in Canada. You have to have your passport and the "Custom Declaration Form" ready for the Canadian Immigration Officer. When I met with the officer, she asked how long I\'ll be in Canada (has to be no longer than 30 days), asked to see my plane tickets (she wants to see when I\'ll be departing. If you have e-tickets, make sure you print out the itinery), asked where I was flying from, asked why I\'m in Vancouver, looked at my passport (she makes sure that your passport is valid) and then she wrote some kinda number and stamps my "Custom Declaration Form" to the date of my arrival and then she let me proceed.

I went and claimed my baggage and then try proceeding to the exit. Upon exiting, one have to hand in their "Custom Declaration Form" to the officer at the exit. When I hand in mine, the officer looks at it and then have me go to an area where they can check the content of your luggage. When I met with the officer whom I thought was going to be checking my luggage, she didn\'t do that but instead asked me a few questions like where I was flying from and what was my intention in Vancouver. She then took my passport and "Customs Declaration Form" and then went to the backroom (I think she\'s doing a background check??, I\'m not sure). She then directed me to the Canadian Immigration (it\'s a different area than the first Canadian Immigration) There was again a huge line of internation folks in line.

When it was finally my turn to meet with the officer. I hand her my passport and "Customs Declaration Form". She verified my name, asked where I was flying from, when I flew in, my intentions (just say your seeking a US Visa) as well as the duration of my trip. To prove my intentions, I have to show her the "US Consulate Appointment Letter" as well as my valid I-797 and I-94 (the one from your H-1B approval letter). I was then told to wait since she\'ll need to call up the US Consulate again to verify my appointment. After she verified it, she stamped my passport to the date of my arrival and told me that I was good to go! FYI, I spent about 2.5 hours in the airport because of the immigration stuff (a lot of waiting!).

TRAVELING TO YOUR HOTEL FROM THE AIRPORT AND VANCOUVER HOTEL INFO
I took a taxi to the hotel I will be staying downtown Vancouver. You can get foreign currency exchange from the airport. The exchange rate is not as good though. You\'ll be much better off getting it somewhere else. The cost for my taxi cab to downtown Vancouver was CAD$24.00. Expect a cost of $CAD20.00 - $CAD30.00. If you are traveling alone, you can try taking the shuttle for CAD$12.00 per person to your hotel.
I stayed in the Greenbrier Hotel in Robson Street, downtown Vancouver. It cost about US$60.00 per night for a double room. It\'s not a super nice hotel but comfy and clean (3 stars). Your kitchen and living room is separated from your bedroom. Greenbrier hotel is located in a nice area, tons of place to eat, shopping etc. It\'s about a 10-15 minutes walk to the US Consulate on 1075 West Pender Street. FYI, when I was in Vancouver I pretty much walked everywhere I go. It\'s a really nice city and everything in the downtown area is within the walking distance. Proceed Part 2..

Part 2 ..Continue from Part 1.

E.g: 30 minutes walk from Chinatown to Stanley Park.

DAY OF MY APPOINTMENT
I went to the US Consulate at 9:05AM. My appointment was at 9:30AM. I hand in the "US Consulate Appointment Letter" to the security and then she let me in. I proceeded to walk upstairs and have to go through a security check point where they look at the contents of my bag etc... After that I went to the cashiers, hand her my passport and DS-156 application form and then paid my exact US$45.00 application fee (cash only). The cashier hands you your passport and DS-156 back.
You then proceed to the queue where you sit and wait. Make sure you move a sit every single time a person goes to the counter. It\'s like a musical chair but at least it\'s organized.

Make sure you fill your DS-156 front and back completely and make sure you attached your passport photo in it\'s place. There\'s a place to take photos in case they do not accept your photo so please have CAD$4.00 coins ready. When it was my turn, I hand the officer my passport and DS-156. She asked for my EAD Card, the top portion of my I-797 and I-94 (H1-B Approval Form) as well as my employment letter. Everything was handed back to me after she have reviewed it. The only thing she kept was the US Consulate Appointment Letter. There was not a single question asked.

She then told me to proceed to the 20th floor to pay the cashier my US$9.00 fee payable in cash, mastercard or visa card. The fee varies from countries to countries. The 20th floor is the same floor where they have further interviews for futher questions.
On the 20th floor, I have to go through the same security checkpoint again. Please do not bring too many stuff. They actually look at them one by one including lipsticks and aspirin. Pay your fees at the cashier by cash, mastercard or visa. She will then keep the passport as well as the supporting documents, gives you a receipt and tell you to come back between 3:00PM to 3:30PM at the cashier at the first floor. Please keep your receipt safe as anyone can claim your stamped passport with it. When picking up your passport you do not need any documents except for your receipt. The total time I spent at the consulate was 2.5 hours.

Documents you should bring prior to your interview:
- US Consulate Appointment Letter
- Passport
- Completed DS-156 Application Form with passport photo attacked (formerly OF-156)
- Original H1-B Approval Form with I-797 and I-94.
- Copies of I-129
- Copies of Labor Condition Application (LCA)
- I-20
- Unofficial Transcript from University
- College Degree
- EAD Card
- Employment Letter stating position, duration, status etc..
- Several recent pay stub
- Bank Statement
- Tax Return Copies
- US$45.00 in exact currency (no coins/change) + another fee when your visa is approved

Refer to your US Consulate Appointment letter package for a list of documents. FYI, if you have a friend/significant other traveling with you and they do not have an appointment with the consulate, they can wait at the Starbucks located at the ground floor of the building.

Continue to Part 3....

Part 3..Continue from Part 2

PICKING UP YOUR STAMPED PASSPORT
I went and picked up my stamped passport at 3:05PM. The line was long but it goes fast since you just go up and pick up your stamped passport. No need to bring any other documents.

DEPARTURE TO THE US
Before departing for the US, one have to fill the "Customs Declaration Form" again. You fill this up after you have checked-in. Make sure you also asked for a new I-94 form, fill it up and then proceed to the US Immigration. The immigration officer will look at your passport and "Customs Declaration Form", You will need to provide supporting documents like EAD Card, I-797 and I-94 from your H1-B approval. She took all of my previous I-94 and issued me a new one. The validity of my new I-94 is based on the validity of my passport. She also asked me a couple of questions such as what I do in the states, describe my job/company etc..really basic stuff. She then let me proceed...

Overall, my trip to Vancouver was very nice! Vancouver is a beautiful city and the people are very nice as well. Have a good time over there.
FYI: I hope you find this posting beneficial. I am posting this based on my recent experience and will not be responsible for anything you might encounter. If you have any questions, I\'ll try answering them based on my experience and on what I know.

Good luck everyone!

Sincerely,
missie.

what is the purpose of tax returns ?

What exactly is the purpose of asking for tax returns. Is it to confirm employment as well ?

RE: what is the purpose of tax returns

I am assuming you are talking about tax returns when buying goods in Canada? When I was in Vancouver, food, goods as well as hotels have additional tax charges in them. You can claim your tax back for your hotel if the total amount is more than $200.00. You can only claim taxes back for goods and not services. You will need to validate the goods receipt in the airport before you fly back to the states. No validation is needed for hotels. While you are in Vancouver, there is information on cliaming your tax back in the malls/airport. It\'s pretty easy. You just validate your receipts, fill out a form, send your validated receipts and then it\'s all taken care of...
As for your question, I\'m not sure. I just want my tax money back :)
Hope this helps.

Tax returns

oops ! Sorry for not being clear the first time. I was referrring to IRS tax returns and W2 forms that the website mentions.

RE: Tax returns

Hi Venkatest,

You know, I\'m not sure either why one would need to bring in their previous tax return stuff but I got the info from another user here who went to Vancouver before I did and I also got the same information from my colleague who told me to bring those extra documentations. While I was in Vancouver, I did not even need the tax return stuff at all. I was really prepared with my documents just in case. Better be safe than sorry right?

-missie.

question

I will be going to get my stamp in Ciudad Juarez on Dec 19th!
I have all the documents you listed but... as far as I know, the I-129 and LCA need to be certified copies!
I was wondering how did you certify them and how do they look?
My company HR says that mine are also certified copies but there\'s nothing really indicating any sort of certifying on those!

Any help appreciated!

Shony

RE: question

My I-129 and LCA were not certified copies. They were just ordinary copies. Both my I-129 and LCA do have some sorta cover letter from my attorney to my HR (when the originals were first received) indicating the nature of the documents, when it was originally received as well as other information. The cover letter also has the heading of my attorney\'s name, company name, address, phone number etc....

I do not know how much of a difference the processing is in Ciudad Juarez than the one in Vancouver, but while in Vancouver, I didn\'t even need my I-129 and LCA for my H1-B Visa Stamping or whatsoever. You have to bring the documents though since you might never know what they\'ll ask...

Good luck!

THANX...

I assumed that regular copies will do the job as well... but I don\'t wanna take any risk!

Thanks fo your reply and for the wish!
I will use\'em... for a good cause... :)

Thanx again!

Shony