H1B SSN issues

asterixxz

Registered Users (C)
H1B SSN

Dear Friends,

I am residing in US.
I was on H4 Visa few months back.We applied for a H1B.I received a approved 797 along with new I94.

When I went to SSN office to apply for my SSN,they mentioned that they need a employment authorization letter/Card per the new rules to issue a SSN.

They said if that is not possible they need to see a stamp in I94 which would have an alien number from which they can check if I am authorized to work in the US.

Regards to my H4.In Nov 2004 my H4 extension was applied.My old H4 I94 expired in Jan 2005.
We received a statement from INS mentioning that the H4 extension is approved.They did not send any document with the new I94 for the H4 extension.May be bcoz INS was not updating my H4 extension for few months,then my attorney sent 2 letters to INS about the same so INS responded by sending me a letter mentioning the H4 extension was approved.

SSN Office looked at my old I94 ( original H4 ) and said they cannot locate my records.

Pls advice what needs to be done.I need to start on a project (Work) next week.

To summarise my questions :
1) How to get my SSN
2) Is my stay in US legal till I receive my SSN.
3) Is H1B stamping a must.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks a lot.

Urgent : H1b Ssn Issues

asterixxz said:
URGENT : H1B SSN ISSUES

Dear Friends,

I am residing in US.
I was on H4 Visa few months back.We applied for a H1B.I received a approved 797 along with new I94.

When I went to SSN office to apply for my SSN,they mentioned that they need a employment authorization letter/Card per the new rules to issue a SSN.

They said if that is not possible they need to see a stamp in I94 which would have an alien number from which they can check if I am authorized to work in the US.

Regards to my H4.In Nov 2004 my H4 extension was applied.My old H4 I94 expired in Jan 2005.
We received a statement from INS mentioning that the H4 extension is approved.They did not send any document with the new I94 for the H4 extension.May be bcoz INS was not updating my H4 extension for few months,then my attorney sent 2 letters to INS about the same so INS responded by sending me a letter mentioning the H4 extension was approved.

SSN Office looked at my old I94 ( original H4 ) and said they cannot locate my records.

Pls advice what needs to be done.I need to start on a project (Work) next week.

To summarise my questions :
1) How to get my SSN
2) Is my stay in US legal till I receive my SSN.
3) Is H1B stamping a must.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks a lot.