H1b Revalidation Issue

ashwanisaxena

am in a very peculiar situation. I am on H1B visa in USA.i had sent my I797 ORIGINAL approval notice ,Passport and other
required documents to US Department of State for visa revalidation.

While on the way back from US Department of State, they have got misplaced.

I have got valid copies of all the documents including I797 APPROVAL notice.

As i will be getting a duplicate passport from Indian Embassy in Washington.

I will also be applying for Duplicate approval notice I797 from USCSIS.

As i need to go to India ,very soon for my marriage.

What documents can Complement my original I797 NOTICE of approval .As i have already a legible copy of I797.
As it may take time to get a duplicate approval notice i797 from SUCCESS.

i will deeply appreciate any of your views.

Thanks
Ashwani

hey ashwani

How did u come to know that ur PP was misplaced on its way back from US department. I am just curious to know that at what point in transit did it get lost. I mean, did it get lost when US dept sends u or was it dispatched but got lost by the courier company. And how were u able to come to a conclusion that it has been misplaced.

I have sent mine and just worried that if mine gets misplaced , what all I need to do to get a new PP from embassy and other stuff.

pp misplaced

Hi!
Sorry to hear ur story. It is risky to go to India to get H1B stamp with the story that pp lost etc. You might be denied VISA.

I am not a lawyer, just a member wishing you well and advise from personal experience.
Good luck.

Hi Aswani,

Not sure abt the process that you'ld have to follow because of your specific case (VISA stamped but lost in transit).

In general, if you get a new passport in lieu of a lost/stolen passport, you'ld have to go to a consulate to get a new VISA stamp. One can use St. Louis option only when they already have a VISA stamp of the same category in the passport.

Good luck with ur VISA and Wedding.

Cheers,
KKM

Sorry to hear. I know its a nighmare as even I had lost my passport.
My passport was destroyed by the State Dept in Washington DC during the Anthrax scare. They sent me a mail stating that they had to destroy it as they suspected Anthrax in the room in which my passport was kept. Even I had sent all the original documents.

I applied for duplicate passport from Indian Embassy in NY. Then I went to India, without I-94, I-797 or any old visa. I had applied for renewal of I-797 and I-94, but it takes its own time.

Fortunately, the Visa officer in Mumbai was very sympathatic as even he lost some of his personal letters which he sent to his wife. He said sorry on behalf of State Dept and stamped my passport without a question. I think I was absolutely lucky.

But don't take a chance. Take all your documents. NOtarized copies of I-797, copies of all the documnets, pay stubs, W2, tax return, lease, car loan docs, etc. You never know. If he asks for proof, you will have it.

YOu can send email to the US embassy in India before you go. YOU can even talk to them over phone. They will definitely not tell you if your visa will be stamped or not, but you may get some pointers...as to which documents to bring and so on..

All the best!!!

Lost Passport - Need Help

I am Indian Citizen and Permanent Resident of Canada. Working here in US on H1B (Valid till Sept 2005) from last 4 Years. I lost my Passport in US Postal Mail and applying for a duplicate passport at Indian Consulate NY.
I would appreciate if anyone of you can help me to know

How much time it takes to get Duplicate Passport from Indian Consulate NY?

Is Passport No. going to be same in Duplicate Passport?

How Duplicate Passport process works?

Once I will get it can I go to Canada and do H1B stamping on Duplicate Passport at US Consulate in Canada? I have police report and xerox of original passport.

If so how much will be the fee and the mode of Payment?
Please help me.
Thanks

Rahuls,

you took so much time to write this message and post it twice.

just go to google type " Indain consulate NewYork" you will get the website and will be able to find the process for application of duplicate passport.

Thanks for your great response.

waitin_toolong said:
Rahuls,

you took so much time to write this message and post it twice.

just go to google type " Indain consulate NewYork" you will get the website and will be able to find the process for application of duplicate passport.