H1B Revalidation - Different Case

vijay001

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am currently on H1 status in USA, and would like advise on visa revalidation.

-> I entered US on H1B (From Chennai Consulate)
-> Changed to F-1 within USA for Masters
-> Changed to H-1B back after joining an employer and completing 9 months on F1-OPT.

Currently, I have a valid H1B approval petition. I will be leaving US for the first time since entering on H1B (only stamp in my passport is H1B)

I was wondering if somebody can answer following questions:

1) Should I go to Canada for stamping or India?
2) In case of Canda, is Vancouver a good choice? Also, will it be considered a F1-H1 change, or a H1B revalidation?

3) In case of India,
-> I was planning to go to Bombay, but it seems you can get it validated in bombay only if you are a resident of that area or you got your previous visa stamped from Bombay

-> QUESTION -> Can I get my visa stamped in Calcutta, and if yes, am I eligible for the drop box procedure? Or can you get your visa only from the consulate from which you got earlier (in my case Chennai)?
-> Can this be considered a case of Visa revalidation?

Any responses are truly appreciated!

If your H-1B visa has not expired or if it is not more than one year after expiry, I think you could apply for re-validation here. Better check with a qualified attorney.
-Rox

vijay,

since yours is a COS (F1 to H1), i think you cannot apply in US.
If you have a US Degree, it should be easy to get it stamped in Canada.

Meow.

janex or somebody please advise

Hi,

As far as I understood, you can get your visa re-validated at St. Louis if you have a previous visa of the same category in your passport.

I have a H1B visa stamped in passport. I changed to F1 in US, completed my Masters, and now I am back on H1B thru my new employer. I checked with attorney and he said I can send it to St. Louis to get a new H1B visa stamp. Has the rules changed between March and now.

Thanks,
VJ

I still believe you cannot revalidate in US because your old visa is no longer valid. (i may be wrong)

Since your lawyer advised you to do it here, then go ahead.
(as he definitely knows more about the immigration laws/procedures than me.)

There is no harm in sending it to St Louis.
On the worst case, you will get back your passport without stamping.

Meow