H1B or TN Visa

iit123

Registered Users (C)
A prospective empoyer in the US wants to file H1B visa for me and I am in the process of getting my Canadian citizenship; My question is: Will I be able to file a Green Card on the basis of the H1B in the old/cancelled passport once I get my Canadian citizenship and will it take the same processing time when I have procured Canadian citizenship as it would have taken on the previous passport? Please advise asap.

iit123 said:
My question is: Will I be able to file a Green Card on the basis of the H1B in the old/cancelled passport once I get my Canadian citizenship
Yes. You will eventually need to get a valid passport, whether from your country of origin or from Canada, when it comes time to get the temporary I-551 stamp in your passport. At the time of stamping, officers require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months.

iit123 said:
will it take the same processing time when I have procured Canadian citizenship as it would have taken on the previous passport?

The USCIS looks at where you were born to determine which country of citizenship they assign for you for the purposes of green card processing, regardless of any other citizenship you may have obtained through naturalization. So gaining Canadian citizenship won't help speed things up, trust me, I'm Canadian.

Processing time is only affected if your country of birth (not Canada in your case) is not current for visa number availability. In all other cases all countries are treated the same way, which happens to be pseudo-random anyways.