H1B masters quota - letter of completion enough? Please help me :(

Hi mani
may i know when u r planning to complete thesis. and did you keep any expected graduation date anywhere while filing h1.
and ASHTEV, please let me know why are you saying that with a letter of completion, h1 will be rejected. did it happen to anyone. man i am in fear. please reply.
thank you

Hi nagiamar,

Didn't mean to alarm you. The reason why I said that your application could be rejected is because according to my lawyers, USCIS wants letter of completions to state that all degree requirements have been met and that just the actual degree conferment alone is left.

I was in the same situation as you guys. I also got a letter of expected completion and my immigration lawyer said that letter wasn't going to be enough. So I had to rush up and defend my thesis asap so that I could get a letter of completion.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong. I hope I am.

attention: mani1979 and nagiamar

You guys,

I forgot to mention - another posibility is that USCIS won't straight out reject your application. Instead they will issue you an RFE (request for evidence) requiring you to submit additional proof that your degree has been completed. In that case, the RFE will buy you time in which you can complete your thesis and submit the completed transcripts or whatever. Ofcourse, that's one option but definitely a better option.

Hi ashtev

thanks very much for the suggestion. hope me and mani atleast not get an RFE. my letter is same as the ones that my seniors have. l have to wait, thats it.

thanks again...good luck to you.

Man, you need not worry if an RFE is sent.. You will have 90 days to reply for it by which time you can complete your thesis. My only worry is if USCIS rejects straight away.

no man, starting june 16 2007 there is a variable time for each RFE depending on the evidence requested...i wonder if we get something positive before june 16....

hard to say if USCIS will send an RFE. this is at the discretion of the examiner. he or she could well reject it outright.

in the last cap update there were about 10k cases approved, so it is very possible that by june 16 you'd have something.

are you sure those seniors you've mentioned got H-1B under advanced degree cap? it could be that when they applied the regular cap was still available.

r u true abt saying that there are already 10k cases approved...can u please give me the link...
and 2 of those seniors have filed h1 petition when general cap was filled up..and one more in ms cap...

in the last cap count update (before cap was reached) there were ~10k approved petitions (see link below).

if you're lucky you may get an RFE and then complete the thesis in the meantime. that's way better than a rejection.

your story about your seniors looks fishy to me. if that was the case, it would set a precedent in which case the AILA would inform its members and they would then act accordingly. that doesn't seem to be the case (think about it)

(http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=91919c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD)

did not mean to disprove you...but its true man regarding seniors...at this moment of tension...how could one lie...their advisor is the same as mine, infact i am in contact with them...i want to convey my msg to those who are in a situation like me...thats it...anyways thanks for your suggestions...

Update

I just recieved confirmation from my company today that my H1 petition under the masters quota was approved. I applied with just a letter of completion.

congrats ashtev

congrats man...u did it...wish us good luck too

by the way, ur petition was received on whcih date mate, at vsc...

my petition was received on april24th at vsc.

congrats man...u did it...wish us good luck too

by the way, ur petition was received on whcih date mate, at vsc...

my petition was received on april24th at vsc.

they recieved it on april 19th. receipted it on april 24th. approved it on may 3rd (though they didn't update my status on the uscis website. it still says case pending). Finally on may 24th, my lawyers got the approval notice and today may 30 I got the physical copy. phew!

it was non premium processing.

Hey guys ,
I’m in similar situation. Pls help. My H1b got picked up this time , I haven’t defended my thesis , but applied H1b in masters quota. I have submitted my academic transcript which shows all course work , but doesn’t show graduation date. What are the chances that I will get rfe / acceptance without rfe/ rejection straight away? Pls help guys . I need your suggestions. Thank you