H1B LLC and 1099

Inquirer12

Registered Users (C)
I know this is an often asked question in this forum, but please bear with me on this question as I am trying to figure out some things....

1. Ok, H1B is employer specific and should only work for the sponsoring company. Agreed, all is well. My question is, is it legally/technically ok if you are not employed by any company, but individuals/small companies pay you for exchange of services? For e.g., you helped repair an individual's computer and they pay you x amount of dollars. I am not employed by this person correct? Or another e.g., an artist/hobbyist who gets paid for her/his work? And lets just say, that these people have looked but did not find competent people to service their needs and they find me as a good match? I am aware of $600.00 or more cap for wages to report taxes.

2. Then comes 1099. I am not employed by any company, I just do a one time work and get paid. so is this OK?

3. On H1B if I start my own LLC company X, and I generate revenue $$ for my company X , by my services...only me in the company X. Can I get a H1B fo r myself thru company X? Under what circumstances will my H1B approved for my company X ?

Thanks for your time

Thanks much
Inquirer12

Last edited by a moderator:
Work outside of the employment for the visa sponsor is not allowed with H1B. Not even one-off one-day job.

Self-sponsoring via your own company is possible but very tricky and unreliable. Among other things, you have to convince the USCIS that the company has solid enough finances to pay the prevailing wage (as well as the other expenses of the business)... and if you are on H1B the company must have the solid finances before you have started working for it. It is a complicated thing and you will not get sufficient advice for it on this forum... seek a lawyer with experience in this situation if you really want to pursue that route. If you can't afford a lawyer, you have no chance of getting approved through this route.