H1B, H4 Open a business

danielf3

Registered Users (C)
I have an H1B and the company was sold.

My wife has an H1B also.

Probably I will need to move to an H4.

My question are:

1. If I open a busines and I run it (be the owner LLc or C corportation) can I be the only one owner?

2 What is better: to move to an H4 and make the corporation or to make the corporation and use the portability to sponsor my self an H1B and work for the company?

3. If the answer is an H1B can that end in a green card?

4. what do you guys recomend a LLC or C corporation?

5. Can be a corporation of one men?

5. If the case is to have and H4 as the owner of the corporation how will be a president, tresure, secretary ?

6. how the helth insurance is managed if I am the owner and I have an H4?

I will apreciate any help to those questions.

DF

clarificatios

I ment runing by not having a payrol.

I am an Engineer wiht 16 yrs in management.

Why can't be H1B if this is a case for my potential future company?

Engineering consulting or management consulting, etc.

If then you have the H1B for your own company and it is an LLC why makes a difference how much % do you own for the GC?

What is the w-site for the LLC vs. C corp?

President, tresure, secretary etc can be solve if it is H!B but if H4 will need to be someone else, correct?

Helth insurance was obvious your answer but my question was who do you deal with health insurance.

Remember that sounds obvious for you while it is not for me.

What is your background in inmigration? How do you know most of the answers and how much accurate are they?

Do you have any conectio with the Law office of this web site?

Thanks again.

DF.

clarificatios

About to run the business.

Even if you don't have a permision to work, what is the problem by managing your on business if you are not in the payrol?

You can earn from the company as an owner (dividends)?

I understand that you can't be an employee but you still can manage it. Correct?

You said that you are an Engineer probably with an H1B so how do you do cousulting side business?

DF

Is still not clear:

In one hand you say that you can't run the company because you can not work.

But also you said that you can still manage it.

Please clear this point.(See the two quotes)

So botom line.

How do you think that is the right way to do it work.

I want to open a business and be able to have some earnings for living.
But also I want to be in control every day on what is going on and take a desicion as an owner/manager.

Txs.

DF

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by danielf3
Even if you don't have a permision to work, what is the problem by managing your on business if you are not in the payrol?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is that it is illegal. You'd be out of status.
CIS considers anything that would "normally" be done by a paid person as work. And no normal person works for a for-profit company for free.

quote:
I understand that you can't be an employee but you still can manage it. Correct?

Correct.

So

Let see if this is correct.

Are you saying.

Open business: yes

Under H4: yes

Working on it : no

Making your self employee for H1B: no

Managing it: no

Having control: remote control

Benefits: no

Having earnings: yes

Helth insurance: private

GC: no unless you have less than %5

Do I miss something else?

The only benefit of opening a busines is: having some earnings.

How do you deal with Taxes at the end of the year if you are an H4?

TXS.

DF

Hi joef,

I am planning to start a company(consulting). I have an EAD(work authorization) since 2 years, having been renewing it. I have my H1 valid until march 2004. MY wife also has a EAD(work authorization).

Questions:
1) Can I start a company on my name and work for the same company since I have work authorization?

2) Can I and my wife be employees of the company that I am the CEO? I mean to say can we be employees

3) If I have to start such a company, what type of company should I start? like a LLC or a S-corp or a C-corp?

Thanks