H1B GC MBA alltogether issues.

Also once F1 is approved i dont see any chances of F1 getting rejected unless you leave country. On campus jobs don't get evaluated by the USCIS is what my understanding is...
These days USCIS is in closer communication with colleges, such as reporting people who drop below a full-time course load without a legitimate reason (such as a serious illness, or it being the summer term).

I have had many jobs when i was on F1 before. Have you known some one who's F1 got rejected once they applied for a job ?!?!
No, but I also don't know anybody with F1 who had a pending or approved I-140 or I-130 at the time of applying for F-1.

If you decide to go full time F-1 anyway, and your PD becomes current during that time, go ahead an apply for the I-485. F-1 status would become invalid, but you can continue studying with the I-485, and can work on or off-campus with an EAD.

You've already made up your mind. So go ahead and change to F-1, but be ready to deal with the consequences, good or bad.

If you decide to go full time F-1 anyway, and your PD becomes current during that time, go ahead an apply for the I-485. F-1 status would become invalid, but you can continue studying with the I-485, and can work on or off-campus with an EAD.

Very good point man !

This is what i am thinking.
1. Apply for LC.
2. Don't apply for I140.
3. Get an admit for MBA
4. Apply for F1. Easier since one doesnt have an approved I140.
5. Start school.
6. Ask the employer to apply for I140.

If PD becomes current apply for 485 as you suggested.

So this might work out !

You've already made up your mind. So go ahead and change to F-1, but be ready to deal with the consequences, good or bad.

I always wanted an MBA from a top 10 school. This pain in the a$$ GC process doesn't sound too convincing to stop me ! I am more of a i will do what i want kind of guy...US employment immigration laws do not make sure that skilled labor is hired. Sooner or later they would be changed.

This is what i am thinking.
1. Apply for LC.
2. Don't apply for I140.
3. Get an admit for MBA
4. Apply for F1. Easier since one doesnt have an approved I140.
5. Start school.
6. Ask the employer to apply for I140.
That may not work, because with the new rule that became effective in July, the I-140 must be filed within 180 days of the LC approval, or the LC will become invalid. Things have to be timed very carefully for your plan to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more of a i will do what i want kind of guy...
I applaud your courage, attitude and willingness to pursue an MBA. However, sometimes life takes less aggression and more thought. During those times it becomes imperative that inaction is better than to take any action. In other words, GC process may be turtle-slow, but going through the process itself is in the right direction of the life. GC is such an important factor in the life - at least in US where law enforcement is one of the best in the world and any misconduct by an immigrant would simply mean deportation - of an immigrant that having one will only increase the risk taking abilities of the immigrant by many many times. Whether the risk be in personal life or professional life, risk is always needed to grow. Misconduct such as DUI, illegal employment, doing drugs, starting and working for your company reduce the chances of getting a GC considerably.

Thus, I would think it is smarter to sit and wait for GC than to take (more aggressive) steps such as relinquishing GC process until laws are modified to suit the needs of an immigrant. The better it would be when your plans complement the GC process than scrub the process. So, if your MBA helps getting a GC then go for it. Otherwise, think and take action.

US employment immigration laws do not make sure that skilled labor is hired. Sooner or later they would be changed.

Blame is certainly on the govt, laws and lawmakers for not creating a smoother path for permanent residency, but that reason cannot be construed that the though-process of govt, laws and lawmakers is gonna change. There is a strong resentment in the common public in US about immigration and any reform in favor of immigration will be only by great unknown force. At least 10 bills to make immigration process more friendly have been struck down already in the past few years. Something to ponder about!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultimately it boils down to what one considers to be more important.

If the MBA is more important than the GC, then go ahead and put the GC at risk or delay it to get the MBA.

If the GC is more important, then make the sacrifices to get the GC, even if it means delaying the MBA or doing it part time.

I think it really depends on your situation.
if you have very good GMAT scores and chances of getting into those top schools. It is probably worth it.because you are going to make 200K plus either in america or overseas. there are many american MBA's in europe/japan/singapore etc making more money than an average MBA here.
If you dont fall into this group, i would opt part time and aim to finish GC & MBA.
Trust me MBA would be permanent asset than a GC, because you never know where you will be in the next 10 years.
I moved to australia and got an aussie passport and did a Computer Science Masters. today i think the decision to do that degree was good. Not sure of the passport.:)

I would say that you should apply for green card as soon as possible.... It is great if your employer is willing to keep the green card process running while you complete your MBA..... If not, then either consider delaying full time MBA or do part-time MBA.....

If you are doing full time MBA, apply only to top 15 univs.... if you are not in top 15, you will have to work significantly harder (10 times more) to switch fields and find job (for eg...from tech to finance.... or management consulting... )

Focus on your green card.... If you have to delay your MBA by couple of years, just to ensure that you have your green card, then it is not a bad trade off..... You will have lot more flexibility in your job search after MBA (MBA is all about job search and job offers once you graduate)... in your career you will be much better placed if you have green card.... ... MBA is not about getting education... right from day 1 or even before, the MBA program will ask you to prepare your resume... will ask you to start networking.... the focus of the MBA program is not education.... but networking...job search for internship...and then more job search for full time jobs after graduation.... You will be required to spend more time building your network of friends who will help you in your career in the future.......

I have learned the hard way.... Like you, I was also contemplating of either getting the green card or getting the MBA.... I decided to do an MBA.... so left a good paying job, went to full time MBA program... and postponed the green card process.... This cost me 10 years of my life and career stagnation, and at times was faced with difficult visa issues and maintaining the status....

So if you plan to be in this country, focus on getting the green card....

I agree w/ the argument on immigration laws. No country can make favorable laws to immigration.. Although I think sooner or later they would give special privileges to graduates from US school and more so the ones with Masters degree and rightly so. But waiting for that to happen and planning on that is not the smartest trade around here.... Lots of people were frustrated for so many years and i think that is why the govt opened the pool for everyone earlier in the summer. Now all those guys have green cards so they let the govt. live peacefully. The govt can now wait until a fresh pool is created.....

The argument with MBA is that there are a few things to consider
1. It is lot easier to start an MBA when one is younger and has no other priorities. 28 is the max avg. age in top 10 schools.
2. MBA from top 10 US schools puts you in a different league altogether. You are a new person for life. Green cards can come and go.
3. MBA graduate without a green card is going to have a hard time looking for jobs especially when one is not a grad from top 10-15... I think if you are from top 15 then the supply demand statistics come heavily into play. So one will find a way out....

I think desi2007 is right. MBA from top 15 is an asset that is priceless and worth a shot...

ItsTough has highlighted his own personal experience and it is very much appreciated. But it would be even more helpful if you can pls discuss your experience in further detail like what school did you go to. What was the focus of your MBA? What was your job before/after etc . Thanks again for sharing it with us.

Hi TkNeo,
I admire your enthusiasm to step up and do things that you want instead of getting tied up in the GC process.

Please read the article:
The End of Business Schools?
Less Success Than Meets the Eye
By Jeffrey Pfeffer and Christina T. Fong

http://www.aomonline.org/Publications/Articles/BSchools.asp

I think the key is to get into one of the top 3 schools or at the worst case within top-5. Anything below that you have to start calculating the risk/reward ratio -- how much you would gain after paying so much (money and time) for your education. If one ends up in a 'similar' kind of job, then there is no use.

Again if MBA is what you want to do really, then you can put in hardwork to get in to top-3 under F1, go to internship under OPT and file H1B and GC in your new post-MBA job (if one is worthy enough, the employer is willing to go through the GC/H1B hassles).

Well I have no experience in applying for MBA, although I have been thinking about something in finance and economics and have been looking into this GC mess. So far I couldn't find a simple solution.

Good Luck,
GFSG00