H1B fees deducted from salary - IS THIS LEGAL ?

wm_destroy

Registered Users (C)
Recently my employer deducted the fees for my 7th year H1 extension from my salary. They also deducted the fees for my wife's H4. I understand that my H4 is my responsibility and I should pay for it. I'm okay with that. But isn't my H1 my employer's responsibility?
Is this legal?

What a doosh..

wm_destroy said:
Recently my employer deducted the fees for my 7th year H1 extension from my salary. They also deducted the fees for my wife's H4. I understand that my H4 is my responsibility and I should pay for it. I'm okay with that. But isn't my H1 my employer's responsibility?
Is this legal?

WM,

Your employer is a doosh.... Please tell him to stop harassing you, or call the Labor Dept and complain that you are being screwed by your employer.. :mad:
H4 is your fees, but your employer must be desperate for some cash that he has decided to screw you... :rolleyes:

H1 fees are his, and made this commitment to USCIS that he needs your skill and will pay the necessary fees.... :confused: Unless he is of the view that you are indispensable, then if you raise the issue with him, then can tell you... Screw u, I need to recoup my fees or you can look for another job...

i heard this from an immigration counselor at my school. she said that it is legal for a compeny to make you pay if it pays enough to cover the visa application fees + lawers and keep the required salary for the position. in otherwise, if the company is paying the minimum requirement for a certain job (i am sure this depends on a location as well) amd making you pay the application fees, that would be illegal because technically you are not getting what is required to be paid. does that make sense?

It's illegal. All fees for an H1 B applicant must be born by the employer. How is your relationship to your employer? Is this just someone from HR not knowing what to do and thinking they can deduct it? Or do you have a new new manager and he/she told them to do it? Unless you are in high demand, this issue is where things become sticky. I'm assuming you are in the GC process correct? Do they have any grounds for letting you go? Will this rock the boat? Read the instructions in the USCIS I-129 Application under H1B applicants. I think it tells you there about who has to pay the fees. Sometimes this is just a negotiating point with an employer. I know it's not right but it's reality.