H1B Approved, starts Oct 1 2024. Currently on STEM Ext. expiring June 2025. Will I be able to travel internationally?

adhirajpathak

I got approved for H1B this year. It starts Oct 1 2024. I am currently on Stem Ext OPT valid till June 2025. Is it possible to travel internationally between now and Dec 2024? I plan to get the H1B stamp in December 2024.

Check to see your h-1b approval notice. If there is I-94 on bottom right that means your status might be changing to h1b effective 10/01. In that case you need to get h-1b visa stamp to re-enter. If there is no I-94, then your h-1b is approved and h1b status is not kicked in effective 10/01. In that case you are F1 OPT stem extension I believe you can re-enter on F1 and you need to keep employer letter and pay stubs with you and show if they ask at port of entry.

@whitemimauz3 thank you so much for your response. My employer said they will do a consular processing of my H1B in order to accommodate my travel plans. Instead of the traditional change of status approach, they will activate my H-1B in December 2024 when I travel. They will not request that USCIS automatically change my status from F-1 to H-1B from within the United States. Would consular processing for a later date help me travel before December 2024? Let me know.