H1B 6 year rule -does that include L1 visa years

SammySingh

Registered Users (C)
The 6 year maximum rule for H1-B, is the period you worked on L1 visa also included part of the 6 years rule.

I have worked on L1 visa for 2.5years and now worked with another company 2years on a H1-B visa. Does it all count towards the 6 year rule, PLEASE ADVICE.

YES,

If you are on L1 be it A or B & convert to H1B, then your number of years is accounted for 6 yrs. So if you dont get GC or if you have not filed your I-140 & should have crossed more than 365 days, then you can get 1 year of extension, if not, I was told by my lawyer that one needs to be out of the country for atleast 1 year to start another 6 yr H1B visa term.

Please check with your attorney, but this was what I was told.

All the best.

Main Index | Search | Preferences | Send Private | Check Private | Logout | Who\'s Online | Guided T

No Title

You have to apply for change of status and the application will take another 3 months as far as i know. This application will be treated as new H1B and involves all the steps of fresh h1B ie LCA.

You need not to go back to your country.

No Title

You have to apply for change of status and the application will take another 3 months as far as i know. This application will be treated as new H1B and involves all the steps of fresh h1B ie LCA.

No L visa is for 7 years

hello guys

pls advice properly, L visas is for a period of 7 years..and they don't have any restrictions at all

pls check out www.murthy.com

Again you are wrong here too

L1-A is for 7 yrs & L1-B is for 5 yrs. L1-A is for executives, managers etc. L1-B is for specialized skill sets. Please visit & read the INS webb site.

PCEEFAN

All we were doing was asking the question that was asked (yes, I am aware that an L-1A holder can stay for a maximum of 7 years and an L-1B holder has a maximum period in the US of 5 years). The question (did you read it?) was does time in L-1 status count toward the 6 year maximum H duration. The person who posted the question was previously in L status and is now in H status, therefore the L maximums are not relevant for the question that was asked and therefore were not mentioned in our responses.

BTW, what do you mean "they do not have any restrictions at all?"

One question here.

What if I came in L1B initially worked for 2 years, (catch is this ->) L1-B expired then, so went back to Home Country. Worked there for 11 months.
Then Filed new H1-B , got it approved and came back to USA, worked for 4 years then, can I stay for another 2 years or is it all done of 6 years already?

One question here.

What if I came in L1B initially worked for 2 years, (catch is this ->) L1-B expired then, so went back to Home Country. Worked there for 11 months.
Then Filed new H1-B , got it approved and came back to USA, worked for 4 years then, can I stay for another 2 years or is it all done of 6 years already?
If you were only in your home country for 11 months then the clock did not reset.
You used 2 years of L-1 time + 4 years of H-1 time so the clock has run out. You have to leave the US for a full year before you can return in H or L status.