H1 vs EAD

Immigration101

Registered Users (C)
I was employeed on a H1 visa when I applied for my greencard. I got my EAD in Jan 2001. Does this invalidate my H1 automatically? What is my current immigration status? Can I enter the country without advance parole (on H1 stamp). Can I do a H1 transfer to another company (in the hypothetical situation where I abandon my GC process with my current employer) and work for another 6 years on a H1 with them?

No Title

Merely applying for EAD will not affect you H1 status. In I-485
stage, your status is something called "pending adjustment status".
If you have valid H1 visa stamp, you do not need AP to travel.
Carry the original I-485 receipt notice if traveling on H1.

ciba

No Title

Ciba,
You said merely applying but what about receiving the EAD card. Would my H1-B & family member\'s H4 still be active until I instruct my employer to issue a new classification of my status? (I-9?)
Thanks
Mick

No Title

Hi mick,

Even receiving EAD card will not affect your H1 status. You have
to "activate" and use it by filling out a new I-9 form. After
that, you are no longer on H1.

ciba

No Title

My H1 visa got expired and had valid h1b for another 2 years. I got AP and EAD. I will be travelling next month to India. When I come back do I need to fill I-9 form? or can I work with same H1b.

Another question is after giving finger print I am going to India and will be staying there 45 days. Mean the time if I get Approval notice for passprt stamping, what should I do. Is there any time/time frame for the passport stamping (like FP).

No Title

longman,

You should fill out an I-9 form after returning to the country using AP.
Also, you can go for stamping any time after your case is approved.
No particular day/time is specified.

ciba

No Title

So If I activate my EAD by filling out a new I-9 with my company, will stop the 6 year clock on my H1? If for some reason, I have to leave my current employer can I resume on a new H1 with a different employer?

Will staying on EAD for more than a year also reset the 6 year limit on the H1? i.e. I can get another H1 for 6 years?