H1 Visa stamping experience - Tijuana

mottai

Registered Users (C)
I have successfully stamped my H-1B visa at Tijuana, Mexico on May 19, 2004.

I have already posted my case on this thread...

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=121413

I was very much worried because my immigration lawyers had insisted that I should check Yes to two of the questions in Question No.38 in DS-156 - Visa application form. A few days before my appointment, the immigration lawyers after consulting with a person who has worked as a consular office in a few consulates changed the stratergy. They asked to me check No to all the questions on Question No.38 in DS-156. I would hide the fact that I started working 10 days before my H-1B was filed. If the consular officer were to dig deep, I would tell him more details about my case. My lawyers had given me a letter describing my case. I would give this letter to the consular officer.

I made all arrangements to get to Mexico with a border permit through Mexico Immigration Consultants. Check out their website at http://www.mexicoimmigrationconsultants.com/. The owner of the firm Jorge Gonzalez is very professional and prompt in returning my phone calls. I would highly recommend this firm for assistance with getting Mexico Border Permit and travel to Mexico for getting H-1B stamping in Mexico.

I flew to San Diego and took a shuttle to the Holiday Inn Express in Chula Vista. After checking in the hotel, I checked with Jorge who told that he will pick me at my hotel lobby at 8:00 a.m. in the morning.

Jorge of Mexican Immigration Consultants was in the hotel lobby at 7:45 a.m. sharp. I left my suitcase at the Holiday Inn Express. If my visa was not accepted, Jorge will bring my suitcase from the hotel. If my visa was rejected, I have to fly to India from Mexico and this was a nightmare for me. Jorge came with a Mexican Border permit for 3 days and the visa application fee in the form of Banamex cheque. He drove me to the Mexican border. We went to the Mexican border post to get the entry stamp on my passport. Jorge talked with the officer in Spanish and got the entry stamp on my passport.

After getting the entry stamp, we drove to the US Consulate in Tijuana. At the US consulate we met with Roy, a taxi driver who would drop me back to the US Border and take me for lunch. Roy works for Jorge and he would be outside the US Consulate till my interview is over. Roy would provide any assistance if I would need anything.

I stood in the queue of around 40 people waiting to enter into the US Consulate. At the entrance, the security guard checked the appointment letter, Passport, visa application form and the banamex draft. Before I went in for the interview, an officer(a mexican) checked all the documents and took my photo. Some Mexicans were asked to provide their fingerprint at this time. They did not ask me to provide a fingerprint.

It was around 11:30 by the time I was called to wait in the line for the interview with the consular officer. There was a chineses guy who was being interviewed in front of me. There were 3 chinese students who I think came to get a F-1 extension or new H-1B. The consular officers were asking them a lot of questions. I took this opportunity to goto the restroom. When I came back from the restroom, the officers were still questioning the chinese guy who was in front of me. I was kind of worried when the officer told the chinese guy that they are going to do a background check on him and it may take around 2-6 months for the Consulate to give a decision on the visa. Some of them where given a paper with some questions.

It was my turn! I greeted the officer and then gave him the following documents Appointment letter, DS-156, DS-157, I-797, I-129, Original Transcript and Degree Certificate.

Officer: What visa do you need ?
Me : H-1B
Officer: What do you do ?
Me : I am an implementation Consultant. I goto Customer sites and get the complex business requirements and implement solutions on [my company]'s architecture by writing Java, J2EE and XML code.
[The officer returned the Original Transcript and Degree certificate and was going through other documents].
Officer(pointing to I-797): Do you have a copy of this ?
Me : Yes
[I passed the photocopy]
Officer: Have you been on H-1B before ?
Me: Yes I have been once....Actually I had two different H-1B visas.

Officer takes out a book which was titled "Non-Immigrant Visa handbook". He was going through the H-visa pages and then looked at the computer. I was wondering if I should have given my job description in detail. I knew I made it when he started writing the reciprocity fee in a small paper. He asked me to pay the fees and collect the passport at 3 pm. I was relieved that they did not ask the recent paystubs, W-2 form and Tax returns.

I went to pay the fees. I gave the US Postal Money Order of $50.00. The cashier told me that they accept cash only. According to the appointment letter from USCIS, the reciprocity fee can be paid by case funds or money order. I tried my best to refrain from reasoning with the cashier about the money order. Had this been a shop in US, I would have wanted to speak with the supervisor. I paid $50.00 in cash and got a receipt. The receipt would be needed to get the passport back.

I met with Roy(the taxi driver) of Mexican Immigration Consultants was waiting for me outside the consulate. Roy took me to a shop to get Phone cards. I called my wife, my HR manager, my lawyer and friends about outcome of the visa interview. Roy took me to Tijuana downtown for lunch. He told me that he can drop me in the downtown and pick me after 2-3 hours if I want to spend sometime in the downtown. I asked him to pick me at 2 and explored the Tijuana downtown after having lunch at an Restaurant which had lot of American tourists. There is nothing special to write about the Tijuana dowtown expect the strip clubs dotted along the downtown.

I stood in line to collect the passport at the US Consulate by 2:30 pm. A consulate officer was looking for me in the queue. I thought I was in trouble. He came with my passport and DS-156 visa application form. My date of birth was not correct in the DS-156 application form. He wanted to verify which was my correct date of birth. I apologized for the mistake and told him that my passport had the correct date of birth. I collected my passport and then verified if everything was correct in my visa.

After getting the passport, I asked Roy to take me back to the US. Roy drove through small streets to avoid the traffic at the border crossing post. He dropped me right by the Mexican Border. I met Jorge there. Jorge took me to the Mexican Border Post to get the exit stamp on my passport. I presented my passport to the Mexican Immigration Officer who was looking for the entry stamp on the passport. The entry stamp on my passport has magically disappeared on my passport. The officer was concerned. We searched throught the pages on the passport throughly and finally realised that the US Consulate has pasted the US Visa on top of the Mexican entry stamp. Jorge explained to the officer in Spanish and we also showed the entry stamp at the back of the Mexican Border permit. The officer was convinced that I have come into Mexico legally.

We walked across to the US border post. Here I got a new I-94 card. They charge $6 for the I-94 card. The require exact change for $6. Luckily I had a $10 and $1 bill. The officer accepted it and gave me $5 back. The immigration officer took my old I-94 card and issued a new I-94 card. I did not fill any forms and the officer did not verify any of my immigration documents.

After getting my I-94, I was finally relieved because my visa problems were all over. Jorge took me to his office so that I could check my e-mails on his computer. It was very nice of him. He also offered to drop me at the San Diego airport. It was very kind of him and I was able to get an earlier flight out of San Diego.

Please let me know if you have any questions about stamping in Tijuana.

Documents I took with me
0. Appointment Letter from USCIS
1. DS-156 form with Photo
2. DS-157 form
3. Original I-797 B H-1B Petition approval
4. Copy of I-129 LCA
5. Original Transcripts from undergraduate (BE) degree
6. Degree Certificate
7. Recent payslips (Jan 2004 to Mar 2004)
8. 1999 to 2003 W-2 and Income Tax returns (Did not have 2000 and 2001 W-2)
9. Offer Letter
10. A letter from attorney explaining my situation
11. A document from INS when my B-1 was cancelled at POE.
12. Photocopies of all the documents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Info needed

How early i can go? My current H1 will expire on Nov,2004. Can i go before that? Suppose even if they deny the visa, i can come back and do it in India.

Hi Saneesh8,

If you feel your visa has some special case, then please consult with your attorney. I am not trying to scare you, but I think there is a provision by which the US Consulate in Tijuana can Cancel ur existing visa if they don't approve your new visa. This means you cannot come back to the US.

Hope this helps...

Good luck with your visa stamping.

Cheers
Mottai...

saneesh8 said:
How early i can go? My current H1 will expire on Nov,2004. Can i go before that? Suppose even if they deny the visa, i can come back and do it in India.

Hi mottai,

No..my visa is regular H1 B and my job does not fit in the TAL list. So i think it will be ok. I Was just checking to see if i have an option to go early and come back if they can't issue the visa for some reason. (Just like we were able to send the PP to St Louis 60 days earlier)

Thanks,

Thanks mottai for your detailed explanation, so how early can I go for revalidation, my H1 expires in Sep 2004. I saw this in the list of documents to be taken when going for revaldation in Tijuana.....

I-797(either I-797Aor I-797B) ( I-797C is not acceptable) Must be original and full page . Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed.

If this is true then one can only go 10 days before the validity date on I-797. Has anyone had their visa revalidated more than 10 days before the current one expired?

To Prashh

So what have you decided? From isprikitiktik's experience, you can do it. I dont have my 797 yet and is still in processing. May be we should call them. I got the following from the CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO consulate website

"If there is a question concerning change of visa status or additional information, check with the Non-Immigrant Visa Section at CDJNIVS@state.gov before making an appointment or call 611-30-00 ext. 2384 Monday through Friday between 2:00 to 3:00p.m. (Mountain Time)
"

pls help

my work not in the TAL list ,but studies civil engineering under tal,is this is a problem to get stamed from mexico.

thanks

I'm planning to go to Tijuana, may I should call them and find out or send an e-mail. I'll keep you updated...

Did you guys go to Tijuana

Hi Reddy and Prashh
did you guys go to Tijuana for H-1 stamping. i had been there and thought will provide info, if you guys have not gone there yet. thanks
ela

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ela

When did you go to Tijuana for your stamping? Did you use the service that mottai used? I am planning to go for my H1B stamping in Nov. Any suggestions. Thanks

Hi Seinfield,
I did not use the service. Frankly, it is quite straight forward. I have gone twice to Tijuana (once before 9-11 and once after 9-11), I never took any transit visa/permit.

If you take the last exit in the US (don't worry, there will be a sign on the freeway saying that it is the last exit), you will come to a light. Just continue straight (without turning) at the light and you will see a parking lot on the right (about $7/day). You can park there and walk about 0.1 mile, you will come to a revolving gate. You enter through it (you are leaving U.S) and continue walking. You walk about 0.1 mile again and you will see a bunch of Taxis waiting. They charge $10 to take you to the consulate. (It is about 6 miles from the border and the cars go at an average of 30 Miles/hr). I would give about 30 minutes for the taxi ride (it might be shorter) to get to the consulate.

My suggestion to you is (just for your peace of mind), use that service if it costs you less than $50. Otherwise, you can just do it by yourself. Please feel to email me at elangom at hotmail dot com if you have specific questions.
ela

seinfeld said:
Hi ela

When did you go to Tijuana for your stamping? Did you use the service that mottai used? I am planning to go for my H1B stamping in Nov. Any suggestions. Thanks

H1 & H4 stamping in Ciudadad Juarez, Mexico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to share my experience in stamping the visa with everyone and just want to tell you that it is of no problem(not like Canada). First of all i took the appointment for me and my wife at www.nvars.com for the consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Then i contacted Victor Garcia for Mexican permit and transportation(www.victorgarciainternational.com). He will tell you what to do in advance. Check http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/mx2/wwwhnivh.html for details about papers you need to take. On the morning, he picked us from the hotel at 7.30 am , and gave the bank drafts for the consulate with Mexican permits. We were inside the consulate by 8.25 am. At all points guards will check your appointment letter. First they will verify the DS 156 & 157 and then the photo session with finger print. After that they told us to wait. Our numebr was called after one hr and the officer was very friendly. He was asking questions like, where do you work, what kind of work you do, do u have any criminal records, where did u get your degree. Then he asked me for the tax returns. I gave him my file which includes tax returns, Pay stubs and all. Then he said your visa is approved and i paid the reciprocity fee. I got my passport back after 30 mins or so. Everything was done before 12.00.

Saneesh
Did you go to Mexico after July 15 or was it before the new rule came into effect? Thanks

Mexico Permit NOT required..

Mottai,
You have done an excellent job of narrating your experience. I am pretty sure people will find it very useful.

I beg to differ on only ONE aspect. You do NOT need a mexican permit to enter Tijuana. Mexican consulate in US will confirm that. In fact, what they say is that you require a visa (not permit). So, in a way, permit is not useful.(Caution: I am not sure about the formalities at other border posts like Juarez, etc. This information is specific to Tijuana/US border). Jorge and others try to make money out of this routine. It might be in practise in Juarez, Mexico. But, certainly not in Tijuana border. In fact, you could pay $1-$2 in a shuttle bus from the US border and it will take you across the border into Tijuana downtown (no documentation required as the bus just drives thorugh the border and does not make a stop). So, on the way up, there is no reason to stop at the border post. If you walk across the border, there is no one to stop you. You just go through a gate which operates only one way (will let you out, but won't allow you to return). No one to check your documents. Bottomline, border post does NOT check your document on the way up.

Similarly, on the way back, there is NO Mexican border post to check your document. I am surprised why they even took you to Mexican border post on the way back. Perhaps, they wanted you to feel that the permit was required. (otherwise, you might complain to Jorge that you never needed the permit and they extracted the money to get a permit). Perhaps, that is why they could not find the entry stamp on your passport on the way back (because, they nevery stamped in the first place!!). Then, they gave you a story (on the way back) that the US visa was stamped on top of the mexican entry stamp (I don't think US consulate is going to stamp on a page that has something on it already). I have gone to Tijuana several times and I never had to go through the Mexican border post. The only post you need to go to is the US border post (they are the only ones who are concerned about you getting back into US). Mexcian consulate in the US can confirm that you do NOT need to stop back at the border post of Mexico on the way back.

Dealing with SOME Tijuana/Mexico people is like dealing with SOME people in India. They find a way to make money. They lead us to believe that we need these documents and then charge us for that. As a person who had travelled across the border several times, I can vouch that you don't need a permit. Also, you do NOT need to stop by the Mexican border post on the way back.

The purpose of this posting is NOT to find fault with your posting. Several people had emailed me asking about permit. This has caused a lot of confusion among people who are about to go to Tijuana. So, I thought I will clarify.

For people who are still skeptical, just call the Mexican consulate/Embassy ask them if "permit" is enough to get in. They will say no. Which means that Jorge did manage to take people across the border (without the required documentation - permit is not recogonized by the consulate). My objective here is not asking you guys to get a visa. My objective is to alert you guys saying that people like Jorge are misleading and extract money for unnecessary services. The reason they get you the permit and NOT suggest Visa is because applying for visa is a longer process (and they cannot get it for you, you need to mail in the passport to the consulate - so no incentive there for them).

If you guys are still worried (whoever is getting ready to go to Tijuana) feel free to email me at elango at hotmail dot com. Another thing you can do is post if anyone had to stop at the Mexican post on the way back. That would clear up all your doubts.

Mottai, as I mentioned earlier, my objective is only to clear the confusion. It is not to offend you in any way. I just don't want fellow visa applicants to spend money on things that they don't need. I invite people (who tried to cross Tijuana border without Jorge & company's help) to share their experiences. This would give peace of mind to people who already have not gone.

mottai said:
I have successfully stamped my H-1B visa at Tijuana, Mexico on May 19, 2004.

I have already posted my case on this thread...

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=121413

I was very much worried because my immigration lawyers had insisted that I should check Yes to two of the questions in Question No.38 in DS-156 - Visa application form. A few days before my appointment, the immigration lawyers after consulting with a person who has worked as a consular office in a few consulates changed the stratergy. They asked to me check No to all the questions on Question No.38 in DS-156. I would hide the fact that I started working 10 days before my H-1B was filed. If the consular officer were to dig deep, I would tell him more details about my case. My lawyers had given me a letter describing my case. I would give this letter to the consular officer.

I made all arrangements to get to Mexico with a border permit through Mexico Immigration Consultants. Check out their website at http://www.mexicoimmigrationconsultants.com/. The owner of the firm Jorge Gonzalez is very professional and prompt in returning my phone calls. I would highly recommend this firm for assistance with getting Mexico Border Permit and travel to Mexico for getting H-1B stamping in Mexico........

Jorge of Mexican Immigration Consultants was in the hotel lobby at 7:45 a.m. sharp. I left my suitcase at the Holiday Inn Express. If my visa was not accepted, Jorge will bring my suitcase from the hotel. If my visa was rejected, I have to fly to India from Mexico and this was a nightmare for me. Jorge came with a Mexican Border permit for 3 days and the visa application fee in the form of Banamex cheque. He drove me to the Mexican border. We went to the Mexican border post to get the entry stamp on my passport. Jorge talked with the officer in Spanish and got the entry stamp on my passport.

After getting the entry stamp, we drove to the US Consulate in Tijuana. At the US consulate we met with Roy, a taxi driver who would drop me back to the US Border and take me for lunch. Roy works for Jorge and he would be outside the US Consulate till my interview is over. Roy would provide any assistance if I would need anything........

............I met with Roy(the taxi driver) of Mexican Immigration Consultants was waiting for me outside the consulate. Roy took me to a shop to get Phone cards. I called my wife, my HR manager, my lawyer and friends about outcome of the visa interview. Roy took me to Tijuana downtown for lunch. He told me that he can drop me in the downtown and pick me after 2-3 hours if I want to spend sometime in the downtown. I asked him to pick me at 2 and explored the Tijuana downtown after having lunch at an Restaurant which had lot of American tourists. There is nothing special to write about the Tijuana dowtown expect the strip clubs dotted along the downtown.

I stood in line to collect the passport at the US Consulate by 2:30 pm. A consulate officer was looking for me in the queue. I thought I was in trouble. He came with my passport and DS-156 visa application form. My date of birth was not correct in the DS-156 application form. He wanted to verify which was my correct date of birth. I apologized for the mistake and told him that my passport had the correct date of birth. I collected my passport and then verified if everything was correct in my visa.

After getting the passport, I asked Roy to take me back to the US. Roy drove through small streets to avoid the traffic at the border crossing post. He dropped me right by the Mexican Border. I met Jorge there. Jorge took me to the Mexican Border Post to get the exit stamp on my passport. I presented my passport to the Mexican Immigration Officer who was looking for the entry stamp on the passport. The entry stamp on my passport has magically disappeared on my passport. The officer was concerned. We searched throught the pages on the passport throughly and finally realised that the US Consulate has pasted the US Visa on top of the Mexican entry stamp. Jorge explained to the officer in Spanish and we also showed the entry stamp at the back of the Mexican Border permit. The officer was convinced that I have come into Mexico legally.

We walked across to the US border post. Here I got a new I-94 card. They charge $6 for the I-94 card. The require exact change for $6. Luckily I had a $10 and $1 bill. The officer accepted it and gave me $5 back. The immigration officer took my old I-94 card and issued a new I-94 card. I did not fill any forms and the officer did not verify any of my immigration documents.

After getting my I-94, I was finally relieved because my visa problems were all over. Jorge took me to his office so that I could check my e-mails on his computer. It was very nice of him. He also offered to drop me at the San Diego airport. It was very kind of him and I was able to get an earlier flight out of San Diego.

Please let me know if you have any questions about stamping in Tijuana.

Documents I took with me
0. Appointment Letter from USCIS
1. DS-156 form with Photo
2. DS-157 form
3. Original I-797 B H-1B Petition approval
4. Copy of I-129 LCA
5. Original Transcripts from undergraduate (BE) degree
6. Degree Certificate
7. Recent payslips (Jan 2004 to Mar 2004)
8. 1999 to 2003 W-2 and Income Tax returns (Did not have 2000 and 2001 W-2)
9. Offer Letter
10. A letter from attorney explaining my situation
11. A document from INS when my B-1 was cancelled at POE.
12. Photocopies of all the documents.