H1 Visa stamping experience- Mexico

H1Applicant,
What time was your appintment and by what time you were back at Brownsville airport?

Thanks,

L1 to H1

Hi,

I came to US in L1B visa and recently shifted to H1B for another employer.

Can i get my H1 stamping in Mexico? or shud I go back to India?

pls advice

appreciate ur help.

thanks

B2to H1

I came to US on B2 and had a change of status to H1. I have not been to India as yet. I am planning to go to Mexico for visa stamping, is it advisable?? I would appreciate ay advice. Thanks

Visa Stamping at Ciudad Juarez, Mexico -- URGENT!!!

Mine : H1-Renewal (7th year extension)
Wife : F1 to H1

We are going for Visa stamping to US Consulate at Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Did anyone else go to the same consulated for visa stamping. Did they return the passport the same day . Could you return to US the same day. Please post in your experiences. Can you also post the list of documents i need to take. Any Information in this regard will be appreciated.

Kiran

I did get my H1 and my wife her H4 stamp in Juarez, here is my experience:

We got there on Monday and went to the bank to pay $100 for the DD per person.
We had the appointment on Tuesday at 8:00 AM, we got there at about 7:15 and there was already a line outside the building (Building D is where you have to go), they checked our documents (DS156-157), passport and bank receipt, before they let us into the building, once inside we got into another line where a lady checks the same documents again. she gave us a number and told us to go to another room to get our pictures and fingerprints taken, once our number was called we had to show the same documents plus our I-797's, the guy asked us questions like, what do you do, is this a renewal or a new H1, what does your wife do, etc.. He took our picture and fingerprints, gave us another number and asked us to go outside where we were going to be called for the actual interview, we waited outside almost 2 hours until our number was called, then the interview went like this:
The lady had our I-797's, passports and DS156-157, she asked me what did I do for the company, she asked my wife I she spoke English, she said no, she asked me why didn't we go to Mexico City to get that done (we are both from Mexico City), I told her because I didn't have vacation and I just needed to get the stamp and get back to the U.S. Everything was going ok until she asked me to show her my green card approval since that was my 7th year extension, I told her I was in the Labor cert process and when I showed her the receipt for the LC she said that was not what she needed, that she needed my green card approval, I told her I did not have one because I was on the first step on the process which was the LC, and that that was the document that the 7th year extension was granted under. I'm sure she didn't know about the process, so we debated for about 5 minutes, which to me seemed like 1 hour, (very nerve wrecking!) finally she asked me normal questions about the company where I work for, who are our customers etc. Then she gave me a slip and asked me to pay for the reciprocity fee and go back to her window with the receipt, so we did and she asked us to go back outside and wait until our names were called again, about an hour later our names were called and our stamped passports were returned to us. It was about 1:00PM, we we picked our bags at the hotel (Holiday Inn is your best bet, it is very secure and it is a block away from the consulate) took a cab to the line ($7 only, don't pay a cab to take you to El paso Airport because they will charge you $50). We crossed by foot, got our I-94's and took a cab on the other side to go to El Paso AP, we paid $12, once in the AP, we had about 2 1/2 hours before our flight departed so we ate and took a breather! we were finally home! The documents I had with me were:

DS156-157
I-797's
DD fee receipt
Labor cert receipt
The ones above are the only ones they checked, but I also had:
Paystubs
Letter from employer
Tax returns for last 3 yrs
Other approval notices (H1, F1)
School transcripts

Please let me know if you need more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
h1b stamping at nogales

[Hi I am living in AZ and want to know if any one have done their h1b visa stamping in nogales, AZ. Please do reply, as I have to decide about a place for stamping and have to go to India soon. Thank you.

would u please tell me how far is the consulate from el paso, tx

bubble23 said:
I did get my H1 and my wife her H4 stamp in Juarez, here is my experience:

We got there on Monday and went to the bank to pay $100 for the DD per person.
We had the appointment on Tuesday at 8:00 AM, we got there at about 7:15 and there was already a line outside the building (Building D is where you have to go), they checked our documents (DS156-157), passport and bank receipt, before they let us into the building, once inside we got into another line where a lady checks the same documents again. she gave us a number and told us to go to another room to get our pictures and fingerprints taken, once our number was called we had to show the same documents plus our I-797's, the guy asked us questions like, what do you do, is this a renewal or a new H1, what does your wife do, etc.. He took our picture and fingerprints, gave us another number and asked us to go outside where we were going to be called for the actual interview, we waited outside almost 2 hours until our number was called, then the interview went like this:
The lady had our I-797's, passports and DS156-157, she asked me what did I do for the company, she asked my wife I she spoke English, she said no, she asked me why didn't we go to Mexico City to get that done (we are both from Mexico City), I told her because I didn't have vacation and I just needed to get the stamp and get back to the U.S. Everything was going ok until she asked me to show her my green card approval since that was my 7th year extension, I told her I was in the Labor cert process and when I showed her the receipt for the LC she said that was not what she needed, that she needed my green card approval, I told her I did not have one because I was on the first step on the process which was the LC, and that that was the document that the 7th year extension was granted under. I'm sure she didn't know about the process, so we debated for about 5 minutes, which to me seemed like 1 hour, (very nerve wrecking!) finally she asked me normal questions about the company where I work for, who are our customers etc. Then she gave me a slip and asked me to pay for the reciprocity fee and go back to her window with the receipt, so we did and she asked us to go back outside and wait until our names were called again, about an hour later our names were called and our stamped passports were returned to us. It was about 1:00PM, we we picked our bags at the hotel (Holiday Inn is your best bet, it is very secure and it is a block away from the consulate) took a cab to the line ($7 only, don't pay a cab to take you to El paso Airport because they will charge you $50). We crossed by foot, got our I-94's and took a cab on the other side to go to El Paso AP, we paid $12, once in the AP, we had about 2 1/2 hours before our flight departed so we ate and took a breather! we were finally home! The documents I had with me were:

DS156-157
I-797's
DD fee receipt
Labor cert receipt
The ones above are the only ones they checked, but I also had:
Paystubs
Letter from employer
Tax returns for last 3 yrs
Other approval notices (H1, F1)
School transcripts

Please let me know if you need more information.

Stamping in Nogales

hi,

if you are from arizona(phx, tuscon ) nogales is the best bet as far as the travel you have to do. But once you come here better be preprared to a severe bombardment of questions about the company and what you do.

Get the following things

Packet 1

DS 156
DS 157 ( check if you need it )
Passport
I 797

Packet 2
Company Brochure ( alteast printouts of webpages )
with LCA copies
with I 129 copies
Photos,
Info about the Clients
Recommendation Letter from your Manager ( very advantageous)
Resume
Describtion of your Job duties ( Please Specify in Lay-man terms )

Packet 3
W2, Pay stubs
other info if nescessary.

The VO doesn't know anything about computers or other technologies.. Please understand thier problem and be prepared to explain what you do in layman terms.

There could be a chance of you being put under Section 221 (g) under the MANTIS Clearance ( read another article by me and even google it out )
under which you might have to wait in Mexico for 30 days..

By the Way Don't come to Mexico without a 30 day permit ( just being cautious ) if you were stuck in mexico ( like me and 7 others ) that 30 day permit will help you..

All the Best for your Visa Interview..

A little bit about me,

I came to nogales driving down from Phoenix AZ, I am a F1 - H1 conversion.
I didn't bring my resume with me, and she asked me about my description like 3 times and even told me to write on a piece of paper what i do on a daily basis at work.
I am a Systems adminsitrator and was explaining her that i build and maintain servers ( she didn't understand that )
i told that i install Operating system more lay man terms but she didn't understand that.
I couldn't think anything more in that nerve wrecking stage that she has put me under MANTIS Clearance assuming that i do something Complicated and She needs approval from US Government for a clearance ( takes about 30 days ). what VO has told me is that as i am from TCN ( third country National ) and as i hold advanced degree ( MS in CS ) she has to do special processing and it could takes months weeks etc. She also has said that i should have gone to my home country to skip this kind of special processing. All i can do is wait in mexico cannot even go to India and transfer the process. I have to start fresh in india and if they put my case under special clearance in india it could be months to gether to get the appointment and months to get the visa.

I and other have come here either with a 3 day permit or no permit at all all of them were given only 15 day permit and it takes 30 days for us to get the visa. and NO you cannot go back to US without the H1 visa.. all our F1 visas have been cancelled by the VO.

There are 7 more like me who are stuck here with me. this completes the 2nd weeks for us hoping to get away from here. we are requesting Mexico immigration officials to give us another 15 day extension so that we can stay here collect the visa and get back to US.

Travel from Mexico to India is very expensive ( around 3000- 5000$ ) for one way.

All the Best for you Visa appointment

( THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVICE This is my personal expierence that i hope that would help people.)

Hello Kabphx,
I am really sorry for your situation, but thank you very much for sharing your experiences and cautioning us about the risks involved. I recently got my H1 extended with the same company. My old I-94 expired 4-Months back. what is the sucess rate you see for such group of people.

I again thanks for all your help.

7th year stamping in Tijuana, Mexico

Gurus,

I am going for 7th year H1-B stamping in March'2006, I would appreciate if anyone had any experience with related 7th year VISA stamping in Tijuana.

I will wait for Guru's postings..

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,
I am also planning to have my H1 revalidated in Tijuana, Mexico. Any info is highly appreciated.

M

Hi,
thanks for your quick reply, I am sorry for your situation in Mexico, I just have one question, from where did you get the 3 day permit, I have my visa stamping on 28th dec in Tijuana and I went to consulate in phoenix, they said that it takes 1 month to get visa for mexico. Can I enter on local permit. Thanks a lot

to answer couple of questions..
My experience is in Nogales Mexico, So all the best for tijuana visitors,

Hi kumaratp, When your H1B was revalidated you should have got a new I94 with the extension that you have got so disregard the old i-94 and keep the newer ( revalidated ) one for your reference, I don't see that as being a problem when you come here as long as you were not illegal in US earlier. Don't risk coming to mexico if you think you were in illegal status even for couple of days.

There are other Cases H1B 7th year revalidation who is stuck with us, J1 visa to F1 visa case who is stuck with us but mostly the cases are F1 - H1 , F1 - OPT - H1.

The permit takes couple of weeks to get and you cannot get the permit after coming here. You have to get the permit before entering mexico esp for indians.

there is a website mexicoimmigrationconsultants ( google it out ) who provide the services like getting you the permit , transportation inside mexico etc.
you can use thier services they also need 1 month time to get you the permit.

All the best for your visa appointment, We were the unlucky week ones where in 8 were stuck in 1 week its been 2 weeks here and no body joined and everyone is getting through thier visas (so good news in a way )

yo kabphx,

it is unfortunate what you are going thru'. i have been to 3 or 4 visa
interviews, all in india chennai, last in 2003. i'm not an expert in
this visa process, but i would like to say that you be confident and
not worry. there is this something i read somewhere recently
i hope this brings you some peace, (nothing related to visas etc.),
it goes like this:
"IF GOD GOT YOU TO IT, GOD WILL GET YOU THROUGH IT",
so just hang in there. sincerely, I wish you all the luck you need now.
But believe me, these moments, you'll never forget, and later in life,
you'll love to tell this story to everyone. so i'd say just enjoy it.

ALL THE BEST OF LUCK, BUD.

Totally Agree with you

If you are very confident and you work company who has very strong paper work; no one is going to let you down...but sometime lack of past document people worried..bcoz your current employer papers are upto date; if they want to let you down they can ask all 6 years of history if they do then you are doom.....then they are ready to show you hell....

but I believe in GOD...always GOD helped me out..so I am sure this time also GOD will help me out too.

Thanks
Raj

painfulH1 said:
yo kabphx,

it is unfortunate what you are going thru'. i have been to 3 or 4 visa
interviews, all in india chennai, last in 2003. i'm not an expert in
this visa process, but i would like to say that you be confident and
not worry. there is this something i read somewhere recently
i hope this brings you some peace, (nothing related to visas etc.),
it goes like this:
"IF GOD GOT YOU TO IT, GOD WILL GET YOU THROUGH IT",
so just hang in there. sincerely, I wish you all the luck you need now.
But believe me, these moments, you'll never forget, and later in life,
you'll love to tell this story to everyone. so i'd say just enjoy it.

ALL THE BEST OF LUCK, BUD.

Stamping in Tijuana

Hi all,

I am planning to get my Visa stamped from the Tijuana US Consulate. I live in Los Angeles area. So, I am planning to drive and park in the US side of the border.

I checked online for the next available appointment in this consulate. It is only after next 8 weeks.

Any one with experience with this consulate, please post their input. Also, I have the following questions:

1) Is the visa get stamped on the same day itself?
2) Do we need a mexican visa/permit?
3) The Visa fees shall be paid in US dollars Cash) or in Mexican currency?
4) How to get to the consulate from the border?

Thanks in advance.

H1B stamping without a master's degree

Hi,
I'm on my 6th year H1B visa. It is set to expire in Nov 06. I'm hoping that the Labor Cert comes through before that. Even if it does not come through I've another one pending for more than a year in the Dallas backlog center. So in November, I've a good chance of getting my 7th yr H1B approved.
I'm planning to visit India sometime during the begining of next year for my brother's marriage.
So here are my queries.

1. Should I get my visa (and my wife's H4) renewed from Chennai? Or can I go to Mexico or Canada and get it done there before I leave?

2. Can I get the visas (H1 - H1 and H4 - H4) renewed even if I don't have a US degree?

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks