H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

i will tell u step by step.
i took all docs as requested by immigration forum
the interviewer asked me what i did in the company, how many employees worked and i was done.

by transcripts what i mean is, IRS has a 1 800 number to request completed tax applications of urs for the last n number of years. so get those and u will be covered.

as far as i see u shud have no problems, just be careful to take all docs
good luck
the interview hardly lasted 30 secs in chennai for me

vshaal, thanks for your prompt reply again. Again it sounds encouraging. I will be optimistic , take all documents and face it with confidence. Rest is not in my hands.

I will try to find the 1800 # for the IRS. But if you happen to have it can you please post it?

Thanks a ton.

Like you I also have two passports...with the old one expired. In that case is it necessary to present both of them or is it just OK to give the current one?

Take both your passports absolutely, they look for the latest port of entry stamping and compare it to your DS 156 entry.

Also why do you think you were not interviewed? I am just curious to know on if there are any special circumstances under which someone becomes eligible for that kind of a luxury.

I dont know, I have a masters degree, company is typical desi with all frills, no big shakes.
I think my paperwork was straightforward, i guess when they ran alerts on my application everything came out positive, hence they saw no need to interview . I was also very organised and took all precautions. There were technical holes in my situation, but luckily nothing came of it. Good Luck!

Like you I also have two passports...with the old one expired. In that case is it necessary to present both of them or is it just OK to give the current one?

Take both your passports absolutely, they look for the latest port of entry stamping and compare it to your DS 156 entry.

Also why do you think you were not interviewed? I am just curious to know on if there are any special circumstances under which someone becomes eligible for that kind of a luxury.

I dont know, I have a masters degree, company is typical desi with all frills, no big shakes.
I think my paperwork was straightforward, i guess when they ran alerts on my application everything came out positive, hence they saw no need to interview . I was also very organised and took all precautions. There were technical holes in my situation, but luckily nothing came of it. Good Luck!

vshaal, jay 22 et al,

It is actually possible to get one visa appointment for your entire family via TT Services. They told me to use "Add Passport" while entering my contact details when I am booking the appointment.
I just did that today, and it works - I got a confirmation for both passports, my wife's and mine.

Hope my experience is as painless as yours...

that works
and i am sure it wud be easy, take care and take all the docs and u shud be safe
good luck and hope to see us back in the US of A

Hi ,
I am new to this forum.. I have a question. Please help me with this

My relative is going to India for his marriage. He has to get his visa stamped. While filling out the application form there is a question.
'Has immigration petition been filed on your behalf'..
My reative has filed his greencard and is going to apply for his 485 after he comes back from India. What should he say for that question.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

H4 RFE - name

We are planning to go for stamping. h4 had an RFE as we filed with my wife's called name (first name different) instead of passport name. however we submitted marriage certificate, birth certificate and affidavit telling it is the same person. the h4 was approved and also the dob on the h4 application was wrong and the lawyer did not correct even after informing him. the approval notice has correct dob as in birth certificate and passport.

Should we tell the officer in advance about rfe and give all docs that we had given for rfe or wait if he asks or will it result in query to be submitted by drop box after interview and before getting passport. we are concerned about it please let us know you inputs.

as of how i personally see wud be good to let the officer know initially, i had a similar problem but because i had put in all the docs from before the officer dint care much as they do their research beforehand
good luck

Hi Tamilgc,
Will my relative have any problem in getting his visa stamped if he says 'YES' - I mean will they consider it as potential immigration?(he has got his 140 approved already)
Please let me know ..

Hey Guys
my wife would be attending Chennai consulate for H4 Visa,
i want to know which hotel would be best, she would be travelling from hyderabad. Please suggest a hotel which is in walking distance from consulate.
thanks

park hotel. 2-3 mins from consulate. 5 star deluxe... and a very nice hotel. approx cost is 6000 Rs plus tax.

myself and my spouse stayed there and loved it.

Please Help Me....Revalidation chennai consulate

Hi,
Please help me with all the information you have...., Let me tell my issues

My visa validity is from Nov'2002 to Aug'2003.

I came to US in Nov'2002 from then I was on bench till Apr'2003.
Then I found a job and applied for a H1B transfer- DOJ raised query for requesting pay stubs from my initial company which i didn't work after I entered US. When I asked my employer they the query as been answered and I will get the H1B papers now or then.

Later in Oct'2003 I joined another job and this company filed an H1B again which got approved, but the approval papers says I need to go to Chennai-consulate for my visa stamping. Specifically the approval papers got an attachment letter why they denied an I-94 inside the US.

I afraid that this would affect my stamping process, if I go to India.

Please help me.... if anybody has gone thru this situation. Please suggest me how to deal with this kind of issue.

I really appreciate kind replies...

GB

Note **:-
DOJ - Department Of Justice

Revalidation in US or India?

I am also having similar situation like GB.

My Visa/I-94 validity is from April 2002 - Sept2003

I came to US in Aug2002 and went back to India in April2003. I am on bench all this time. Came to US again in July 2003.

I got job in Aug2003 and new company filed my H1 and got approved in Aug2003(4 days before expiry of I94). I am continuosly in payroll from Aug2003 and filed 2003 returns also.

Till now I didnt realised that this H1 is not came with I-94 extension. As per that I have to go to India for visa stamping. When I contacted the company they told that it was done by mistake from attorney. They said H1 was filed as a new employement instead of new "Concurrent" and it got approved the same.

1. As I am in mission critical job in the company I cant able to go to India for stamping. Now is it possible to file my H1 again to get it re-validate in US

2. As this mistake is from Attorney, can we make a case against that attorney and use that case as starting point for correcting my status in US with INS

Is there any alternative methods are there to get my visa stamped in US or file for a new H1.

Appreciate your help in this..

I-129 and LCA

Dexter,

In your post you said that you took your ORIGINAL I-129 and LCA documents to the interview. My lawyer only gave me copies of them. I am F-1(EAD) to H-1B(first time) too. Can we get the originals from the lawyer?? Plz do let me know. I have my interview in a few days.

Thanks
Vivek.

DS-157 (Age 16 to 45) form

Can anyone who appeared for a visa interview please tell how much the interviewer looks into (and asks any related questions) the form DS-157 (the special application form one has to fill up if one is between the age of 16 and 45). ?

I am specifically concerned about the fields

Field # 9. => List all countries you have entered in the last 10 y ears. (I have gone to several countries)

Field # 12 => Not including your current employer, list your last two employers. (How much do they dig into previous employment history?)

Field # 18 => Have you made specific travel arrangements?
I am just confused on this field. Should one say 'yes' and then say that he/she plans to arrive back in the U.S.A. on a specific date?

Thans a ton for anyone who can provide some help here. Thank you for your time.

H1 Visa Revalidation Interview at Chennai - Experience

Friends

I had an interview at Chennai consulate on 19 April for revalidating my H1 Visa and here are the details

My first H1B was issued at Chennai in April 1999, I had revalidated the visa in DC in March 2002.

Interview date 19th April - 8:45 to 9:00 am

Stood in the line by 8:40 am (about 10 people at that time, many people were already inside) was inside by 8:50, (they were allowing people with later appointments like 9.30 am also to go in).

First went to the TTS counter and paid tts fees by cash (Rs 400), then paid the 4600 rupees DD at the next counter(Write PassPort# and Name at the back of the DD's) where I received token number (3 stubs), then arranged all the documents in the order written on the black board across from the counters.

Next stood in line for one of the many counters to submit the documents, the lady at the counter did not look very happy at her job, (she was not rude though). I submitted the documents, mainly DS156,157 , I797 orginal, I129 and LCA (attorney certified copies), Paystubs for 2004, W2's & tax returns for 1999-2003, Employer Letter, Degree certificates (I submitted photocopy, but she asked me for original). I had not glued or stapled the photograph on the DS 156, she made a comment that I should pay her for stapling my photo onto the form (jokingly and I told her I would be glad to). She looked at the papers, entered something into the computer, returned the I-129, LCA, tax returns, paystubs (she kept only the DS 156, DS 157, I-797, employer letter, degree certificate and W2s). She even returned the attachment to Form DS 157 where I had written the list of countries I had visited and the details of my previous employers. She stapled one token on my passport, put all documents in a file, returned one of the tokens to me and asked me to go to the next building for the interview.

Went to the next building (around 9.10am) and waited in the main hall, almost 70% of the seats in the hall were filled, so many people had got in before me, my token number was called (around 9.55am).

Was asked the following Questions by the person at the counter:
1) What visa are you applying?
2) What company are you working for?
3) What do you do there? While I was answering, he was having a conversation with two of his acolleagues, so I doubt whether he listened to my answer (I am working as a ship surveyor, not related to IT industry)
4) Have you been doing the same work in the US all these years (since 1999) - I said yes, (even though I had changed employers once)
5) what is your Pay?
5) Is your family still in the US? Yes
6) Why didn't they accompany you this time? I explained that I had come for a short trip only to participate in function in connection with my father passing away last year. He stated that he was sorry to hear about my father.

I was asked to go to the next counter and pay my visa fees (DD for Rs 2300).
I went ahead and paid the fees at the counter, was out by 10:05 am

Most of the people had no difficullty during the interview, but another interviewer was asking some technical questions to IT people (one person stated that his job was designing networks, he was asked to explain the various steps involved one by one), one person who appeared for a visitors visa was refused visa (I believe he had asked for 4 month business visa to attend some seminar/conference etc, he was asked to explain his actual itinerary/program in the US, his answer did not satisfy the officer).

I received the passport with the visa stamp on the third day (22nd April) by Speed Post (small town in Kerala, hence TTS did not use courier service, however they had posted the passport on 19th itself).

I am back in the US now.

Gopal