H1 transfer related question

hello_usa

Hi all

I have got my H1 stamped for employer A (who's basically a consulting firm and will put me as a contractor once I'm there). I have not started working for 'A' yet. Is it possible for another company 'B' to initiate an H1 transfer now? If it is possible, when can I start working for 'B' ? (I mean to say, can I skip 'A' completely and directly touch the US soil to join 'B' ?)

Any help appreciated.

Yes you can. But bear in mind - ensure that your H1 Transfer to B comes through before you inform your Employer 'A'. If he cancels your H1 while the transfer is in progress, your H1 transfer stands cancelled too (concept known as bridging). You can start working when you have the authorization receipt for transfer.

It looks as if though you're taking your first H1 employer for a spin though - he's taken the pains to file H1 and you want to transfer and join a new company barely after you join.. kind of low isn't it?

If he cancels your H1 while the transfer is in progress, your H1 transfer stands cancelled too (concept known as bridging).

I didn't get this point.

AFAIK, even if company A cancels the H1, I think the transfer (which is nothing but a new petition not subject to cap) may go through fine. I think the OP is outside the U.S. and has not entered the U.S.

OP,
You can apply for a transfer. Once the H1 with Employer B is approved, ask the employer to send you the approval notice (I-797). You can use the old visa as long it is unexpired along with the new I-797 and an offer letter from Employer B to enter the U.S.