h1 to j1..plz advice!!!

aditi12345

Registered Users (C)
hi i had a question,
i came to us three years back on student visa..and graduated in june 07.

thereafter, i got a job that sponsored me a h1b visa...and have been working in this job till now...

also..i never went back to india all this time..so never got the h1 stamped on my passport.

now i hv matched in a residency program, and need a j1 visa.

my question is..is it possible that being on h1b visa will effect my j1 application if i apply for it from india..as being on h1b can be seen as an intent for immigration??

should i go to india for my j1 stamping..or try doing it from canada/mexico??

also...if my j1 gets rejected in india...will i lose my h1b also...as i hv not got it stamped on my passport??

thanks in advance!

is it possible that being on h1b visa will effect my j1 application if i apply for it from india..as being on h1b can be seen as an intent for immigration??

No problem and I know one did it, the H will not affect, the previous student visa may if it was J

should i go to india for my j1 stamping..or try doing it from canada/mexico??

Take the stamp from where ever consulate you wrote in the application. Home country is best for you in case stamp delayed.
also...if my j1 gets rejected in india...will i lose my h1b also...as i hv not got it stamped on my passport??
No relation, you apply for J if rejected the H suppose to be in good shape, if every thing else is OK

thanks in advance!

---------

thanks mmed for your kind reply!!!

i was previously on f1 student visa...graduated from my masters program...then got a job on h1...

anyhow, i had few more ques..hope u can plzzzz be kind to reply again??!!!

I have got accepted in a 4 year psychiatry residency program that is willing to sponsor me both h1 and j1 visas. i recently passed my step 3...so i can apply for h1 as well...but was confused about few things...

my questions are --

1) If i go for h1 visa , i will use up all the 6 years on my h1 at the end of my 4-yr-residency. As such, I am clueless as to what will be my options at the end of residency, ie, once i used up my 6 years on h1???

2) also, in that case, will it be better for me to go for j1 instead of h1??

3) I have heard that you can apply for GC at end of residency, and if i find a job well within my third year of residency who are willing to hire me at the end of 4 years of my residency, can they file for my GC in third year itself as a future employee (as i wont be able to start working until the end of my residency)???

any feedback plz...ur advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks!!

thanks mmed for your kind reply!!!

i was previously on f1 student visa...graduated from my masters program...then got a job on h1...

anyhow, i had few more ques..hope u can plzzzz be kind to reply again??!!!

I have got accepted in a 4 year psychiatry residency program that is willing to sponsor me both h1 and j1 visas. i recently passed my step 3...so i can apply for h1 as well...but was confused about few things...

my questions are --

1) If i go for h1 visa , i will use up all the 6 years on my h1 at the end of my 4-yr-residency. As such, I am clueless as to what will be my options at the end of residency, ie, once i used up my 6 years on h1???

2) also, in that case, will it be better for me to go for j1 instead of h1??

3) I have heard that you can apply for GC at end of residency, and if i find a job well within my third year of residency who are willing to hire me at the end of 4 years of my residency, can they file for my GC in third year itself as a future employee (as i wont be able to start working until the end of my residency)???

any feedback plz...ur advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks!!

Without question, take the H. It is better even to stay out of status than to take medical J if some one is willing to give you H. To get around the 6 year rule many solutions are there, one you already mentioned.

thanks mmed for your kind reply!!

I was not sure as to what you meant by "It is better even to stay out of status "?

Also, I want to make a informed decision about choosing between H1 and J1...so in addition to finding a job that sponsors me a GC in 3rd year of residency....(which sounds very uncertain and risky to me)....what can be my other options??

i do understand that it is not possible for you to reply to everyone on this forum...but I really look forward to your reply!!

Thanks once again for all your help, time and kindness!
Regards

thanks mmed for your kind reply!!

I was not sure as to what you meant by "It is better even to stay out of status "?
I mean that the J medical is the worst thing and keep it the last card in your hand
Also, I want to make a informed decision about choosing between H1 and J1...so in addition to finding a job that sponsors me a GC in 3rd year of residency....(which sounds very uncertain and risky to me)....what can be my other options??
You can request extension of H for an extra year, you can apply for NIW and if it is approved you can extend the H indefinitly till you have priority date available to adjust, you can marry USC who can sponsor you family GC, you can find decent academic position who can sponsor your EB1 GC, you can entertain the possibility of O visa and many others. In the worst case senario, you can take one year off from the program instead of the 2 years of the J go back to your home country and get brand new H starting counting from day one and many other options.
i do understand that it is not possible for you to reply to everyone on this forum...but I really look forward to your reply!!

-----

Thanks a million mmed for takiing out time to reply to me again!!!! I really appreciate your graciousness!

Also it seems that...if i go for H1...i have many options....i guess....the only thing is that i will have to be on my toes and look out for the timings + and other opportunities all through my 2nd and 3rd year...

Also, another thing i have to do is to find out details of few things u mentioned such as NIW, EB1 GC etc :p coz i have no idea as to what they are...

Anyhow, I have one last question plz --> In ur above msg...u mentioned "You can request extension of H for an extra year".....do u mean that one can even apply for 1 year extension on your 6 years H1 visa without filing any GC application etc. as well????? And in that case, what time you should apply for it (like in 6th year of your H1)?? do you need anything specific for that??? and is it usually easy to get????

Thanks once again for all your help and guidance, and look forward to your reply! :)

"You can request extension of H for an extra year".....do u mean that one can even apply for 1 year extension on your 6 years H1 visa without filing any GC application etc. as well????? And in that case, what time you should apply for it (like in 6th year of your H1)?? do you need anything specific for that??? and is it usually easy to get????
QUOTE]

To the best of my knowledge , it is relatively easy task giving the fact that you will be one year or so away from finishing residency which is a legitimate reason for requesting the extension. Again, the J option is still valid at that time if the extension is not granted at least you are relieved from extending the J every single year during the residency which much more possibility of delay in the extension, interruption of residency …etc. In few words, if the program will sponsor you H, just take it even if you have only one year left in your H, by extending the H the J option is still valid any time you need it down the road.