h1 to f1

Vicky_m

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,

I would like to know if it is possible to convert h1 to f1? After the expiry of 6 years on h1, can I move to f1 visa without leaving USA? I am thinking of studying on f1 after my 6 years on h1b visa are over. Can I avoid going to the home county for f1 visa stamp? I would appreciate your reply. Thanx.

Vicky

yes you change from H1 to F1...you dont have to get it stamped on PP..you can live here with the approval. but if you decide to leave the country then shud get the F1 visa stamped before entering.

f1 to h1 to f1

Hello,

I am currently on F1 visa and recently got my H1 approved (with a new I-94) and a start date of October 1st 2004. For some reasons, I do not want to take up the job and wish to complete my studies on F-1 visa.

(a) Would the H-1 come to effect automatically on Oct 1st 2004? Will my F1 be no longer valid from that date?
(b) Do I need to get a new I-20 or F1 visa?
(c) What do I need to do to maintain my F-1 status?

Any comments asap greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.y-axis.com/pressreleases/clydejones.html

If a person has got a H-1B from Sponsor XYZ and quit after some time because he found out that his Sponsor company is not good enough and the sponsor has not informed the INS that he as left, will the 6-year H-1B clock be still on ?

Answer : Yes. If your sponsor company has not informed the INS that you have left the company, The clock will still be on, because INS will not know that you have left and will be under the impression that you are working for XYZ.

When can a H-1B visa be transferred (i.e. from one company to another)?

Answer: INS controls that, if it is done without the knowledge of the INS it is illegal

siraju said:
Hello,

I am currently on F1 visa and recently got my H1 approved (with a new I-94) and a start date of October 1st 2004. For some reasons, I do not want to take up the job and wish to complete my studies on F-1 visa.

(a) Would the H-1 come to effect automatically on Oct 1st 2004? Will my F1 be no longer valid from that date?

You are no more F1 student.
(b) Do I need to get a new I-20 or F1 visa? Yes(c) What do I need to do to maintain my F-1 status? as (b)

Any comments asap greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, you can change your visa to a F1 if you want. However, if you decide to leave the country, you should get the visa stamped before entering.

Yes, it is possible to convert an H-1B visa to an F-1 visa. After the expiration of your H-1B visa, a person can apply for an F-1 student visa without leaving the country . He /she will need to obtain a new visa stamp by traveling to his\ her home country, but you can then return to the country on his F-1 student visa.