H1 to F1 transfer--doing it from India Vs filing for COS staying in US itself??

kashyapnamuduri

I'm currently working on H1B (came to US from India on F1 visa for my MS and converted to H1 after completing the degree), but I still need to get my H1 stamped. So I'm on H1 status, but I donot have H1 Visa. Now I want to transfer to F1 for starting my Ph.D in about 3 months. Which is a recommended way of transferring my H1 to F1:

1) Should I go back to India after resigning to my job, and apply afresh for an F1 with the I-20 issued by the university? That way I guess I'm free to visit India thereafter, but it might be risky since I've worked on H1 for a couple of years. OR

2) Apply for COS here in US and after it gets approved, join the university and then when I get time, travel to India and get the stamping on my F1 visa?

I heard that the 2nd option is much safer though it takes more time, but my question is, if I follow 2nd method, I anyway need to go for the stamping when I visit India during my Ph.D-how risky(or safe) is it to go for F1 stamping once my COS is approved here, compared to applying for it afresh?

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply! So you mean, it doesnot matter at all whether you go back to India and apply for the F-1 Visa from there (considering I have been on H1 status for an year here and F1 is a non-immigrant visa), Or apply for Change Of Status here, and get the F1 stamped by traveling to India after it gets approved? Just wanted to be sure-since I've heard that the former is more riskier.