H1 Stamping in Calgary - Please share experiences

dc_newbie

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am going to Calgary for H-1 B 7th year extension on Oct 23rd. My current H1 Visa expires Oct 1. I'm trying to book my tickets and am not sure when we get passports back. The Appointment Package says most likely same day, but some old posts here said next day. Anyone been there recently?

Please share your Calgary experiences here.

Thanks.

I was in Calgary for my first time H1-B stamping (F1-OPT-H1). I had my appt on Aug 23rd'2006. I left from USA on Aug 22nd and returned on Aug 23rd. Yes, Calgary consulate returns the passports on the same day at 3 p.m. Please let me know if I you need any more information.

Thanks

Thanks Choti! Do you remember what time you were done? How long does the line to pick up passports take?

I'm trying to catch a 6PM flight back same day. Do you think that'll work?

choti said:
I was in Calgary for my first time H1-B stamping (F1-OPT-H1). I had my appt on Aug 23rd'2006. I left from USA on Aug 22nd and returned on Aug 23rd. Yes, Calgary consulate returns the passports on the same day at 3 p.m. Please let me know if I you need any more information.

I went in at 9 a.m. and got out of the consulate by 10.30 a.m.
It usually takes about 5 minutes to pick the passport . When I went to Calgary, it was Wednesday and there were only 10 people waiting in line to pick up the passports. so, it was pretty quick.
I think you should be okay with the 6 pm. flight. I had a 5.45 pm. flight. The only problem was the traffic to the airport. Even though I started at 3.10 from the consulate building, I reached the airport at around 4.15. The boarding pass,US Immigration and security check process took 40 min and I was there at the gate at 5.10pm. So, I guess you should be okay.

Thanks very much for your help, Choti...

choti said:
I went in at 9 a.m. and got out of the consulate by 10.30 a.m.
It usually takes about 5 minutes to pick the passport . When I went to Calgary, it was Wednesday and there were only 10 people waiting in line to pick up the passports. so, it was pretty quick.
I think you should be okay with the 6 pm. flight. I had a 5.45 pm. flight. The only problem was the traffic to the airport. Even though I started at 3.10 from the consulate building, I reached the airport at around 4.15. The boarding pass,US Immigration and security check process took 40 min and I was there at the gate at 5.10pm. So, I guess you should be okay.

choti said:

Could you share your experience with the VO ?
Did u have masters in US ? I dont have MS in US but have been working in US for past 6 years. I am not sure if its ok for me to go to Calgary , but I have taken an appointment.
I am little confused.

Yes, I do have a masters in US. Please refer to my post in the thread H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada, page 108.
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=117538&page=108&pp=15

I am not sure too, if its ok for you to go. If you read through the same thread, there have been many people who went to Canada without a US degree and came back successful.
One important thing I noticed in most of their posts is that they took their degree evalutaion, but as you know it all depends on the VO.
According to my opinion about Calgary consulate, it is easy to get your stamping done. I never saw any posts abt.stamping denied or delayed (except one who was stuck in name check)