H1 Stamping and 797 Receipt Question

gtg506p

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I just had a question. I am leaving US to go to India for H1 stamping. Previoulsy I was student. I know that you have to give your I-94 at the gate of the airport. I had question regarding 797. Do you have to detach one receipt of the 797 and also give that at the airport or do you keep the 797 with you and give one part of receipt at consulate? Please advice. Thanks.
gtg506p

For gtg506p

You should surrender the latest I-94 at the airport to generate departure record. So the answer is 'yes' - please detach the perforated piece from the bottom right corner of the I-797 approval notice, and staple it along with old I-94.

Visa stamping

Thanks Manwithnoname. I think this is a very important information.I'm also planning to go for Visa stamping at Chennai and was wondering if you know the link that give me the list of documents to carry for Visa stamping.

Please read the FAQ from the U.S. Embassy, New Delhi website. In addition here is the link to the application process and the link for documents. For detailed doumentation list I found this link useful.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I-94 submission

Hi Manwithnoname,
Thanks again for the information. As for the I-94 submission before departure, this is what my Lawyer was saying before.

"Yes. As I said below, surrender the I-94 issued at your last U.S. entry when departing the U.S. in lieu of tearing the I-94 off of your approval notice."

So the I-94 from the passport have to be submitted and not the I-94 from I-797 H1B extension.

Pls let me know if this is correct.

I would suggest you read this link from U.S. Embassy, New Delhi website. I still think the new I-94 replaces the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:
h1b pending

Quick question, please, guys:

My h1b (premium processing) extension is pending (140 approved).
Can I travel out of the country before the approval and then get the approval documents sent to me in India? (Keeping my fingers crossed that an RFE doesn;t come)

Thanks much
M

I would wait for I-797 (premium process if necessary) and surrender that I-94 during departing, then go for visa stamping.

manwithnoname...

Here is the story:

I filed for an H1 extension in feb 2006 and USCIS gave me an extension (I think in error as my 140 was not yet filed or

approved) for 2 yrs and 8 months. As a result, my current H1 extension expires in Dec 2008.

I discussed this with my attorney and we decided to file for an H1 extension as if the extension was only till Feb 2007.

Now I need to travel to India in the next 7 days and still don't have my 'correct' H1 extension. I have done everything IO

can, including upgrading to premium, to get the 'correct' extension. Today, my employer called USCIS and spoke with an

immigration official and here is what were told:
Why are we trying to do a premium process, when the H1 end date is in Dec 2008? After explaining to her what it is that we

are doing, she just said "our system shows he has a valid visa till Dec 2008 and according to me, he should have no problems

entering the US again"

As you can probably guess, by now I am at the end of my wits, not to mention the mental and financial agony.

Please have advised that I can travel on the current H1 extension that is till Dec 2008, get that stamped and travel back to US?
your opinion is much appreciated.

Thanks all..

for your help..I appeared at the delhi consulate -- no problems, and then at immigration -- no problems again'

thanks for all those who helped....
M