H1 out of country to get visa stamped, H4 visa in US still in status?

madamut

Hello,
I'm on H1 extension, my wife is on H4, can I go back to my home country to get the visa stamped without my wife. During the time I will be out of the country can she stay in the US? Will her H4 be in status?

Thanks

Your legal stay in the US is based on the valid duration of your work permit (I-797). When you have a H1 or H4 stamped on your passport, that allows you to enter the US. Since you will be going outside of the US to have your re-entry H1-B visa stamped onto your passport, I assume you will have a valid I-797 in your possession which you will need to get your H1.

As long as the I-797 is valid, you can stay in the US without having a valid H1-B or H4 stamped onto your passport. Again I assume that based on the validity of this I-797, your wife will be legally resident in the US. Perhaps someone else can clarify whether you should have a seperate I-797 for your wife also. Whenever I renew mine, my company lawyer also renews one for my wife. When she and the kids were out of the country an year back, I only had my I-797 renewed but used this same I-797 to have both our H visas stamped just before returning to the US. Now that she is back, I got both our I-797s renewed recetly when the time came.

Just my understanding, perhaps someone else can shed more light on this. But your leaving the country for a short while should not have any effect on your spouse's residency situation.

Jawad

Yes, we both have the I-797 renewed until end of 2009. Sorry for not explaining this right.
Somebody asked me if I can leave the country without my wife, and upon some research on google I didn't find any conclusive answer, what I got was that my wife will be in status as long as I'm in status, so my thought was when I leave the country and surrender my I-94 I will actually lose status (or not?) and so my wife? I asked my lawyer, he said my wife won't lose the status, but I wanted to make sure so I posted here.

Apparently so far I think that she won't lose the status, but I don't understand on what base. Can someone explain how this works?

Thanks.

Yes, we both have the I-797 renewed until end of 2009. Sorry for not explaining this right.
Somebody asked me if I can leave the country without my wife, and upon some research on google I didn't find any conclusive answer, what I got was that my wife will be in status as long as I'm in status, so my thought was when I leave the country and surrender my I-94 I will actually lose status (or not?) and so my wife? I asked my lawyer, he said my wife won't lose the status, but I wanted to make sure so I posted here.

Apparently so far I think that she won't lose the status, but I don't understand on what base. Can someone explain how this works?

Thanks.

You don't loose status upon exitng U.S. In other words, H-1B status is applicable as long as you are in the U.S.
- my 2 cents