H1 Extension in 9th Year - Using EAD or Extending H1

loki_l77

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I am in 9th year of my H1 and still using my H1 to work. I have my I485(EB2) pending and still renewing my EAD as a backup.
I am debating between getting my H1 extension done and continuing using H1 to work OR using EAD to work and do not extend my H1.
I learn from some of the posts that always use H1 and keep I485 as a backup.
But keeping in view of the recent efforts done by DOL to visit office premises and enquiring documents etc. will it be a good idea to keep using H1 specially with my company that only has 3/4 H1 employees out of a total of 1000 employees.
Please feel free to ask me any questions.

thanks ..Loki.

If the company will agree to it, go ahead and renew the H1. It gives you options that an EAD doesn't provide, like being able to bring a spouse on H4, travel without Advance Parole, and not having to rely on your EAD renewal being approved before the existing one expires.

Yes I too believe if company is ready to do it then why not. You can switch to EAD whenever you want later but at least you'll have options till that time.

Thanks for your replies.

Will add to my post : My wife is already here, she was on a h4 before and is using her EAD now.
I will have to spend the h1 renewal cost as i have already exceeded my company's budget on it.
What do you think of DOL visiting the offices now a days, i know personally two people who had their offices visited. My company having just 2 h1's out of the entire workforce probably doesn't understand it much.

thanks..Loki.

I will have to spend the h1 renewal cost as i have already exceeded my company's budget on it.
There are certain elements of the H1 costs that are illegal for the employee to pay.

So if your company is not willing to pay the employer-only portion of the costs, you'll have to change to EAD.

You mentioned you are in EB2 ... is your PD current now?