H1 expiring. GC not done. Implications? Options?

rohitkamat

Hi - I have a peculiar situation that I am hoping to get an answer to. I was first issued an H1 in Nov 1996, but did not get it stamped until Nov 1997 just before I first entered the US. I have since had it renewed a couple of times and it is up for renewal again in Jun 2002. I know that there is a 6 year limit to stay in the US on an H1. Will my 6 years be us in Nov 2002 because first H1 was issued in 1996 or do I have another year since I entered in 1997? My labor process for the Green Card is underway also. What are the implications of my H1 situation - in general and on my GC in particular? What are the options available to me? Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Rohit

No Title

Your 6 yr period starts Nov 1997. Since u have already applied for LC, which is 1 yr before the end of your 6 yr period (Nov 2003), u can apply for 7th yr H1 extension also. Confirm with a lawyer. Good luck!

LC Process underway, spouse H-1 expiring

Hello,

I\'m a H-1B holder, and waiting for the LC decision during the next few months. My spouse also has H-1B, but her VISA is reaching its 6th year limit on March, 2003.

I am concerned that GC process won\'t complete before her H-1B expires.

Assuming everything goes well with LC/GC process, can she extend her H-1B at some point, since she will be applying for GC as my spouse?

Appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks - Sam Y.

No Title

I came to US aug 97, but my visa was applied in june 97, so i have in my I94 and all visa renewal till june 2003. My wife came in jan 98, but her 6 yrs ends june 2003. so pls check.