H1 expired- EAD –I9 form clarification

jksongc

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus, please help.

My H1-B (6 year limit) has expired in last November & I also received my EAD before the expiration date. I guess now I am working on my EAD now, my question is

Does my employer OR I need to notify INS (BCIS) regarding this (I am currently working on EAD and not through H1B)??? Just now I came to know about ‘I 9’ form. Am I supposed to post this to BCIS & notify them about the change? Currently my I485 is pending, does this create any adverse effect on the processing since it is almost 5 months since my H1b has expired & I am not even sure if my employer has notified anyone regarding this? Please advice, as I am very much worried.

Thank you all for your help!

Agree with Tasse

I-9 form is employer property, so they can update your status information with new I-9 form (which I think stay with empoyer only). so you should be fine by filling out new I-9 form.

Don't worry.

JB

Thank You Tassie & JBM for the info.

So, far my employer didn't mention OR request me to fill out that form. Should I fill
it out for myself and post it to my employer to be on safe side??.
Did I get that right ?

Yes, ask your employer hr people @ I-9 form, it's just another form like w4 form. They should know that I9 form, other wise consult your immigration lawyer.

jb