H1-B Transfer before approval

rtijoriwala

Hi,
I have the a situation where I need some advice:

I got my first job in june 2005 and was on my OPT until dec 2005. My H1-B was filed by this company and it started from Jan 1, 2006. Now I left the company in Sept 8 2006 and joined a consulting (vendor) firm. I am a contractor at Microsoft through this firm. This firm filed my H1-B on Sept 9, 2006. Now, 2 weeks back, when I checked the status of my case, I saw USCIS sent an RFE requesting more documents from my firm regarding the contract and type of job description. They gave a deadline until feb 2007 to submit docs.
My first initial contract length at Microsoft through this firm is until April 2007, but is more likely to extend for another 6 months.

Now my question is, since I cannot be sure if the contract will extend, I am starting to look for jobs...If I get a job, will it be alright to accept it and have that new company file my H1-B even though my current H1-B from my current firm is still in process and not approved yet?

One needs to get at least approved H1 petition for transfer. Since you are not approved yet, I don't think you are considered to have grabbed the quota which means you will be under another H1 quota if you filed another petition.
There is no quota left this year.