H1-B to J1

dockuttu

Dear Friends,
I will finish my medicine residency in june 2008 to H1-b and have fellowship starting from july 2008 to J1 visa. Is there any particular disadvantage to switching from H1 to J1 for fellowship instead of going for a job and filing for green card.
Thanks

Dear Friends,
I will finish my medicine residency in june 2008 to H1-b and have fellowship starting from july 2008 to J1 visa. Is there any particular disadvantage to switching from H1 to J1 for fellowship instead of going for a job and filing for green card.
Thanks

Please do yourself a favor and spend sometime going through this forum on challenges you would face once you become J1, if you have not already done so.

In short, if you take fellowship on J1, then you have to get waiver and spend 3 years in an under served area.

Since you're on H1, you can find a job and apply for greencard. You can start your PERM now while you're in residency if someone is willing to sponsor.

If I were you, I would go for GC.... but then you might have to wait for your GC for a while if you're from India, China. And have to put fellowship on hold for a while.

Better solution would be find a fellowship position who would give you H1 instead of J1. Since you're already on H1, you should have better chance convincing them to sponsor you for H1.

Thanks for the reply.
I am from india and i have been trying to convince my program director to sponsor me an H1 instead of J1. There are very few programs that sponsor H1 for fellowships as there is some funding problem. I feel that if i let go this position it will be hard for me to find a fellowship after 4-5 years from now.

If you really wanna do a fellowship, and have a position in a good fellowship program and they wont give it to u on H1, then take it on J1. I know many people who decided to do GC after IM and are now cursing their decision as they couldnt do fellowships and now due to different life circumstances, will probably never do fellowship.
Getting waiver after felloship is not difficult and I suspect will get even easier in the future.

Whatever you do, make sure you are 100% informed about the decision and know that you will be comfortable with it 6 years down the line.

Now, given that you are from india, you can't bank on getting a GC fast these days. So the usual way of doing a primary care or hospitalist job for 2 years, get your GC and move to fellowship later is not quite available.

Read through a lot of stuff on this forum to fully undertand the predicament you put yourself into by accepting a J1. Realistically, you are blocking yourself from becoming a citizen for the next 10 years (2 year fellowship, 3 year waiver, 5 year PR). Also, you are limiting your career opportunities after fellowship to positions that are able to give you a waiver. Usually, that either means working for the VA or some place where people grow corn for a living.

As for 'life circumstances' limiting the ability to do a fellowship. 'Life circumstances' are usually expensive wifes and kids. If both of you go into the job-->GC-->fellowship deal in the understanding that the RDM (real doctor money) you will make during that time won't be spent on that new Acura MDX but that you rather live like a resident and bank the cash for fellowship, then the 'life circumstances' won't kill you financially.

Hadrons right.
By the way, I did Get that new Acura MDX last year and am very pleased with it, lol.

Hello Hadron!!

I have a question about fellowship...i have finished residnecy on H1 and i am currently a hospitalist and got thru I140, and waiting for I485 to clear....i have got a fellowship offer from the same hosp I am currently working in...the sponsoring employee will be the same...how do i go about from here..ask for H1B extension, use EAD or go on to J1 as the EB2 ha retrogressed so badly...please help...:confused::confused::confused: