H1-B stamping for first time

rsemwal

Registered Users (C)
I came to US on F-1 visa. I graduated in May 2001 and used my OPT for one year till May 2002. My company sponsored H-1 for me that was approved before my OPT expired. I have never been out of status to my knowledge. I still have F-1 visa stamp on my passport and it is valid till Dec 2002.

I am planning to goto Mexico to get h-1 stamp. Although I am working full time in the company, I also have admission for full time PhD starting from Jan. 2003. I thought may be I should take the I-20 from the school and then goto Mexico for h-1 stamping. This way, even if I am denied the h-1 stamp I should be able to re-enter US based on the I-20 and valid F-1 visa.

Could someone please let me know if I can re-enter based on old but valid F-1 visa and new I-20, in case I am denied the H-1 stamping.

Regards.

can H1 stamping still be done in mexico/canada

Hi,
It was my understanding that stamping of H1 in any consulate outside of your native country was frowned upon. Supposedly, Indians who live in the USA and travel to Mexico/Canada for stamping are having problems post-Sept 11. Does anybody have any information on this or know anybody who successfully got it done? Thanks,