H1-B Stamped -Tijuana, Mexico

sweeta_dd

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I recently got my H1-B stamping done from Tijuana, Mexico. Fairly smooth trip, thanks to everyone in the forum, specially (ela6 and snubasu). My trip was similar to Snubasu's -

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=192257&highlight=mexico

About my status
- F1-OPT-H1B

Appointment
Registered on http://www.visa-usa.com.mx/

You have to pay $10 to buy the pin and they give you 3 chances to book and cancel the appointments. I did it online and was among the first few people to use the system to so I got the date I wanted but now I hear the appointments are booked up to March 1st week.

Cash:
$110 (for Benamax) + $50 (Reciprocity fee) + $ $6 (1-94 at the port of entry) plus the cab and food exp ($40)

DOCUMENTS:
• DS-156 – mark N/A for empty spaces (Even when you use e-form - take a pen and write N/A on empty spaces)
• DS -157 (only for mail applicants)
• Passport
• 4 2x2 size photos – 1 is stapled to DS-156. The other 3 were backup.
• I-797 (Documents 1 -5 are the essentials; should be together)
• LCA + I-129
• Employment letter
• EAD card (Important if you were on OPT and now moving to H-1)
• All previous employment/offer letters
• All paycheck – (I took all my paycheck from current employer)
• All previous tax filings (W2 + tax return papers)
• All degree certificates and transcripts
• Proof of residence (I took my cell phone bill)

 My appointment was on a Monday, my husband and I drove to San Ysidro border on Sunday night. On Monday morning, my husband dropped me right near the revolving gate at the border.
 I walked through the revolving gate and then walked ahead some more and found some cabs and they approached me by themselves, told them I have to go the consulate, he asked for $10, I agreed. And I guess it take around 12-15 mins to reach to the consulate.
 The cab guy asked me if I wanted to go the bank first, I said yes - My appt was at 10 AM and it was just 8.45 so he dropped me near the bank. (It is a good idea to take 10:00 AM appt- and for H1-Bs during the internet appointment booking, they only give you two time slots – 9 AM or 10 AM.
 At the bank, I paid $106 or something - and got the 2 copies for the DD - One is for the consulate and one is your copy. They will check the PP; and make sure that when you get the receipts, it has your PP # on it.
 From the bank, consulate is like 1 min walk. There wasn't a long line or something.
 But before that -- I needed to give my cell phone to someone. You cannot take any kind of technology inside. My friends told me that near the consulate, the store people will help you with that and will keep your cell phone for some few dollars ($5 something) I did that.
 Got in to the line; some one will check your DS-156 and make you write N/A in blank spaces.
 Went through security screening. They check pens too!
 They made me sit in small semi covered seating area where after a 45 min I went into the consulate
 They take your details from passport, DS-156, 1-797. Then click your photograph, and take your fingerprints.
 Thereafter I came back to the same seating area, waited for my interview for around half an hour
 During the interview they will ask for your DS-156 and 1-797. I was asked for no other documents.
 I was asked couple questions -
o Which Company?
o What position?​
 At the interview window, I was fingerprinted again.
 She asked me to pay the reciprocity fee and collect the visa at 3pm.
 I went out- turned right from the gate and walked for about 30 seconds to another window. They check your ID before they let you enter- Once more they did the screening thing. I waited near the cashier window and paid $50 (You should have your receipt that the Interview officer gives you during the intervie)
 Spent 3 hours waiting…. :rolleyes:
 Exactly at 3:00PM, they start giving out passport – a guard calls out each name and you go to the entrance window, show your receipt and collect the PP. Check for your birth date, company name, your name, visa type and expiration date. Make sure everything is correct on the visa and you are given back your original I-797 (usually in an envelope stapled to the PP).
 Was so excited - got straight into a cab without discussing money- He got $15 out of me:(:(. DID NOT ARGUE and also he was also talking about leaving me at ALTA MESA border because there are no line there for people to cross the border (don’t know where it is)- I was like NOOOOOO drop me at San Ysidro border and he did.
 At the border, when walking to the checkpoint, on the right is the immigration office. It is yellowish with blue tiles with 3 flags out front. Stop there and get in to line. According to people it take 30 mins- For me on that day took 3 hours just to get in:( and then the border officials were like “Oh H1-B hmm lot of work - lets take care of other things first and made me and other 2 h1-b guys sit for another 1 hour and by that time I was so frustrated :mad:
 They will ask you question - if you were arrested (I don’t know the repercussions of a positive answer).
 After that I got a new I-94, and paid $6.00 fee.
 At the checkpoint they ask if you are getting anything back like agricultural stuff and all.
 Crossed the border --- I got seeee my husband :) :).

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator: