H1-B revalidation in Mumbai delayed.

cooldude28

Hi all,

One of my frnds. is in Mumbai, India right now and he had been to the consulate
to get his H1-B visa extension stamped on Dec 15th. He has not changed employer since his first H1-B visa stamp.
He was asked to appear for an interview and was given an appointment for Dec 22
During the short interview he was told that they will have to take
his finger prints and photograph and get the application "validated" by sending the data to
US and back. This procedure will take at least 30 days and he will have to wait
for that. So he went ahead and gave the FP and photograph.
Has anybody heard of any such case before and any experiences?
Typically how long does it take for such revalidation to be done and how much time should my frnd expect to be waiting?
Is the 30 days number given by the officer realistic or is it likely to be significatnly more?
Thanks

I have had one expereince with one of our clients who holds an Indian passport resident of gujarat but was born in kuwait went to mumbai consulate in aug 2003 and was made to wait until clearance came from Washington DC. This process took about five weeks. our office send a detailed letter to the consulate by fax and followed it up couple of times and the consulate was also very co operative they responded timely for the Attorneys letters and our client was stamped at last.

My friend got stuck in chennai consulate for 3 months (from jan 2003 - march 2003). I havent read of such incident on this portal recently.

I had a friend who got stuck in Mumbai for 3 months last year.
Personally i have had 3 visas issued in Mumbai and all times got my passport back same day (prior to the courier service) and next day once the courier service started.

fingerprinted case

Similar is the case with my friend. He applied for H1B at chennai consulate in Jan 2004. After a short interview they asked to deposit $85 fee and took his fingerprints for security check. I guess that they do this if you make a name check hit in NCIC-III FBI database. Person who fingerprinted told that he will get a letter from consulte after a month and then he should follow as instructed in letter (reapply for visa or so). It is said that it will take 4-6 weeks. I would like to know from the group that is there anyone who has gone through this and has got the VISA within a month ( 45 days)?

Useful link for such cases are:
http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/dosliasonmet.html
http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09FAM/0942067PN.PDF

My friend is waiting for the response from the consulate. someone who is also waiting in a similar case may contact me at: resu raj @ hotmail .com (remove space) or write to the group to exchange the experience.

had anyone contacted consulate during this waiting period? if yes waht was the consulate response?

Thanks

Resham